Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Want In Linux Drivers This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There isn't much I would like to see from the nVidia side of things except:

- Some bug fixes (What kind? I don't know, I don't have anything where I have a problem but theres always something out there somewhere)

- xrandr 1.2 support also would be great.

- A personal request, I think triple buffering should be on by default like in the Windows driver since I mean.. If you are going to run vsync, triple buffering is kind of a no brainer. This could also be added to the nVidia control panel too instead of doing Option "TripleBuffer" "True" in the device section of xorg.conf. Of course, not a big deal at all, but could make it easier for others.

As for ATI and Intel fixes, I don't really know what needs to be fixed or needed since I don't really use them.

Comment

radeon/radeonhd:
      Finally a solution about the "two drivers for the same hardware" problem...it's just that these double efforts don't seem good to me
      radeon and radeonhd devs are trying to keep as much code in common, including the acceleration code, and avoid duplicate effort. There are technical reasons for two different drivers.

To ATI/AMD:
      - Quit being Microsoft's b!tch and open up your blob driver.
      - Put more effort into getting documentation into devs' hands ASAP (especially if you can't do the above suggestion)

To Nvidia:
      - Quit being Microsoft's b!tch and open up your blob driver.
      - Try actually contributing to the open-source community (it will make that empty place where your heart used to be feel better). If you have ideas on how to make X.org/Mesa better, share them, instead of coding them into your binary blob in a way that makes it incompatible with standards.
      Last edited by DanL; 30 January 2009, 12:18 PM.

Comment

What I really want is an opengl3.0 compliant radeon/radeonhd that turns out to be at least 80% as fast as fglrx in 3D with the ability to overclock cards and monitor temperatures; also some form of fancy control panel for the drivers.

Comment

I would like to have tear-free video playback with intel.

Comment

NVIDIA
            • Some specific things such as audio support for HDMI connectors (if this doesn't work already).
            • Kernel mode-setting support (if this even can work with the proprietary display driver).
            • Disabling the Nvidia logo at startup also sounds like a good idea.
            • And of course improved 2D and 3D performance.

Comment

for fglrx: stabilization&bug fixes, better 2d performance
              for radeon/hd: power managment

Comment

I want to quote anyone in the previous posts!

For hardware vendors: use the old plain good-sense, read something in this thread and think about customer satisfaction. It ain't hard if you try!!!!!

Comment

I want all this you mentioned

On the open-source side there is a lot to get excited about. Gallium3D will soon be landing in Mesa, more hardware will receive kernel mode-setting support, more of the X.Org drivers will turn to using a kernel memory manager like GEM or TTM, improved video decoding support,
                  + powerplay

and... Linux will be a bliss.

Comment

What I want from GPU drivers in year 2009?

AMD:
                    I want a driver, and this says it all.

NVIDIA:
                    I would appreciate if they release full doc of at least their gpu series: 5xxx,6xxx,7xxx . I can understand if they don't want to release, at least for now, doc of their newer cards, but there is 0 reasons (if not money) to avoid releasing doc of older series.

Comment

Since my video card is a not-so-new ATI Radeon Xpress 1150, there aren't many new features I am looking for at the moment.

However, I have had problems with rendering Compiz fusion's cube with 3d windows enabled on any 64-bit Linux distro (does not happen on 32-bit). There is extensive flickering that is hard to watch. I've filed a bug report with ATI, but I have only found one other person with this bug. It really doesn't matter that much to me, I have just decided not to use 3d windows anymore. Plus, I am hoping to get a new computer in about a year, so I pray they aren't spending too much time on it!

Comment

Working...
                      X