AMD Catalyst 9.1 Brings OpenGL 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working catalyst 9.1 with 4850: http://pastebin.com/m26fcd18f

Edit: Oops, please remove the Modeline and the Gamma lines from the monitor section, these are specific to my old CRT.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      Working catalyst 9.1 with 4850: http://pastebin.com/m26fcd18f

Edit: Oops, please remove the Modeline and the Gamma lines from the monitor section, these are specific to my old CRT.
      WOW, thanks
      that's actually an improvement (before my old Xorg had issues with VLC in fullscreen even in metacity)

I used your exact xorg minus those 2 lines. which fixed some stuff, but I still have the problem of screen refreshes, and crashes.

playing a video in totem, and the top section of the video is pasted down below, over the controls.
      Not sure if this is an Xorg problem, or something else.
      but I really appreciate it, at least it helped metacity run better.

If anyone else could post their Xorgs, that might help, as we can all learn together, and maybe mix and match different ideas/options

thanks again!

Comment

• No prob!

Video is a bit unstable in this release. As a temporary workaround, try configuring totem to use OpenGL or X11 output, instead of Xv. It will eat more CPU, but it will take care of the corruption until 9.2 (or whatever) fixes it.

OpenGL in particular will look quite good, if you also enable VSync in the catalyst control center.

Comment

• The new 9.1 driver works nearly perfectly for me on my Radeon 9800 XT. The long standing artifacting with FSAA on r300 has been addressed, same with the OpenGL fog bug, and some slowdowns in alpha blending. Not to mention OpenGL is just considerably faster (10-15%) across the board and there seems to be less overhead from using larger textures, and generally less CPU dependence. Overall, great job ATI / AMD!

As far as the comments go, I see a lot of people using r300 and fglrx having issues. I'm not sure what to say, since it works perfectly for me.

I do experience minor Xv issues, i.e. resizing is slow / poor quality. I think this is more of an ATI decided to drop Xv overlay in favor of OpenGL video acceleration. Try chaning vlc or xine's engine to the OpenGL one, everything works fine.

The one noticeable issue is compiz does suck with fglrx, more so than with the open source radeon drivers. Video, and openGL flickers and tears when compix is enabled. On the plus side, OpenGL performance is only slightly decreased, and still faster than older fglrx revisions. I personally don't use compiz, but this might be an area which could be improved. I'm also not too sure of the details and how much of this is really ATI's fault compared to compiz. Things like X server 1.6 and DRI2 will fix this eventually, so I'm not upset.

P.S. I saw the "Made for Linux" logo on a FireGL card box at work. This made me really happy.

Comment

• P.S. I saw the "Made for Linux" logo on a FireGL card box at work. This made me really happy.
            Could you take a pic?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tillin9 View Post
              P.S. I saw the "Made for Linux" logo on a FireGL card box at work. This made me really happy.
              Yeah, picture please Michael [at] phoronix.com
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• This is a good release in that it's been about the 3rd in a row that hasn't broken anything for me, and xv seems to inch slowly towards not shaking at all at each release. Still does it though, but not all the time as it did at one time when watching dvd. I hope the trend continues. I mean, forget xvmc and HD size, I'll be satisfied with perfect regular old xv.

Comment

• I guess you can expect next drivers will break something then

Comment

• These reports look encouraging. It looks like I may yet get usable 2D on my 4850 after all.

Just to confirm that I'm not missing anything the install procedure should be:
                    1. build 9.1 .debs from ATI installer
                    2. dpkg -P (previous fglrx .debs)
                    3. dpkg -i (9.1 fglrx .debs)
                    4. aticonfig --initial (unclear whether or not this is superfluous)

I have looked at "Ubuntu Intrepid Installation Guide". This upgrade is for x86_64. Did I miss anything?

Just out of curiosity has anyone successfully rebuilt fglrx for a newer kernel using dkms?

It would be nice if there was a summary page somewhere listing successful 9.1 install & usage for the various current x86_64 distros lenny/intrepid/jaunty along with the working xorg.conf.

Comment

• What you are missing is the reset of /etc/ati, I usually purge that dir completely after uninstalling *fglrx*/*amdx* packages before installing new ones. All this is done automatically with

Comment

Working...
                      X