AMD Catalyst 9.1 Brings OpenGL 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nightman View Post
    Reading Your posts I know that You can run the newest ATI Catalyst 9.1 driver on Kubuntu 8.10.

Maybe it's stupid question but I want to ask You for a help in installing it - it doesn't work on my Kubuntu 8.10, on Mobility Radeon 9700 and 2.6.27-11-generic kernel.

Can You tell me how to install this driver or give a link to some tutorial?

Basically what I was doing was standard install ATI way - ./ati-driver-installer-9-1-x86.x86_64.run , checking if fglrx is present in XORG.conf and restarting. System was booting normally and when KDM should start it back to the console login.

What I was doing wrong? Do I have to instal old version of X.ORG? DO I have to use some other options during install?

Please give me at least a clue why it doesn't work for me.
    I used this guide to install my driver: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

I'll hope it'll work for you too.

Btw. fglrx sometimes doesn't detect monitor correctly, so you may have to manually configure your monitor settings in xorg.conf.

Comment

• Originally posted by nightman View Post
      Reading Your posts I know that You can run the newest ATI Catalyst 9.1 driver on Kubuntu 8.10.

Maybe it's stupid question but I want to ask You for a help in installing it - it doesn't work on my Kubuntu 8.10, on Mobility Radeon 9700 and 2.6.27-11-generic kernel.

Can You tell me how to install this driver or give a link to some tutorial?

Basically what I was doing was standard install ATI way - ./ati-driver-installer-9-1-x86.x86_64.run , checking if fglrx is present in XORG.conf and restarting. System was booting normally and when KDM should start it back to the console login.

What I was doing wrong? Do I have to instal old version of X.ORG? DO I have to use some other options during install?

Please give me at least a clue why it doesn't work for me.
      Code:
      sudo aticonfig --initial -f
      If you didn't do it the "ubuntu way" (dpkg) then you need to uninstall fglrx driver using:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx fglrx-amdcccle fglrx-kernel-source
      Today I had a problem after updating wine so I needed to remove the following package also:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-radeon

Comment

• Catalyst 9.1 works smoothly in my gentoo box. But I notice one bug. if mplayer is playing a 16:9 video file in full screen mode, the picture is stretched. However the picture's width and length ratio is kept as 16:9, so some lines at the bottom and the top are cut out.

Comment

• Looks like kaffeine doesn't freeze the system anymore when using fglrx 9.1 with xine xv-output (plain KDE 3.5.9, no compiz). Finally I can say big thanx to the driver devs :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Pulfer View Post
            Looks like kaffeine doesn't freeze the system anymore when using fglrx 9.1 with xine xv-output (plain KDE 3.5.9, no compiz). Finally I can say big thanx to the driver devs :-)
            It still does when playing interlaced videos. But that can usualy be worked around by enabling a decent deinterlacing (not always though).

Comment

• Hi all!

Just posting my experiences of the 9.1 drivers (comparing to 8.9, I skipped a few versions in between). I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (integrated HD3200 aka 780G), 4850e (a dual-core low-power 2.5GhZ AMD 64-bit CPU), on a Gentoo 32bit/x86 install.

This is a HTPC setup (VDR) with secondary gaming use, so video playback and stability (to make recordings) are a priority though DRI is also wanted / needed. I have to say that OpenGL has worked satisfactorily even with previous versions, but the video playback problems are still there.

Firstly, I finally get tear-free video playback with mplayer, using -vo gl, but the playback is so slow that the audio doesn't stay in sync (with 8.9 it was fast enough but there was tearing). XV has tearing, but otherwise OK.

EDIT: I believe that the bad A/V sync was cauesd by my amdcccle settings (it had no effect previously but seem to work now; I had forces anti-aliasing on along with vsync), a bad video file and/or 23.976FPS video. With some 25 and 30 fps video files everything seems to be OK, no tearing and good A/V sync, need to do some more testing when I have free time.

EDIT: It seems that with 9.1 I can run amdcccle only as root, not as a regular user (it segfaults if I do that). Don't know why...

Originally posted by loeppel View Post
              So it is impossible to watch TV with VDR + xineliboutput-sxfe (http://linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php...boutput-plugin). A very common DVB Viewing and Record Application.
              Hi loeppel! I use VDR with xineliboutput too. You are not alone with your problem. Have you tried other video devices with vdr-sxfe? I noticed that the XV output is unusable because of the issues you mentioned. Opengl is works otherwise, but it is slow, too dark by default (similar as it is with mplayer) and unstable on channel chances -> kind of unusable too.

I noticed from a Finnish forum, that '--video sdl' is the only usable option (but not perfect by all means). The video playback is not accelerated (very much, I think it's better than plain X11) but still fast enough for SD material scaled to fullHD resolution, and I can even use some deinterlacing with satisfactory results (it's a bit more smooth without so YMMV). And of course there is terrible tearing, but at least it works.

Hope this helps.

And for any developers reading this: Thanks for your work! Even though there are some issues seems that this driver is an improvement at least for me. Keep up the good work!
              Last edited by Mr. Hilarious; 02 February 2009, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by oyvind View Post
                <snip>
                * XVideo - not so good after all, worse than 8.12 (plain non-composited environment, Metacity). Poor fullscreen performance and artifacts (and video is too bright by default).
                * X wouldn't start up when my laptop was only on battery power, this is embarassing ! I suspect PowerPlay-stuff is very buggy on my hardware, and it causes all sorts of problems (also with suspend, when pulling the power chord just as the machine suspends).
                <snip>
                * Problem with XVideo performance was due to a combination of running GPU in lowest power state and playing a 60 FPS video. The open source radoen driver doesn't hit this performance cap, because it is not able to lower power state. Tiny tearing-artifacts are definitely there, though, no matter what powerstate the GPU is in.

* Problem with PowerPlay is solved by disabling it:
                $ aticonfig --auto-powerstates=off (then restart X).

Note to AMD: the --auto-powerstates option behaves very badly on ATI X1400 mobile GPU (unstable), and should perhaps not be enabled by default ? You also provide the old-fashioned way through atieventsd, but state in aticonfig help output that the two methods will conflict.

Comment

• Still no support for upcoming Xorg 1.6:

dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so: undefined symbol: pciNumBuses
                  (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so
                  (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
                  (EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (loader failed, 7)
                  Xorg 1.6 is due for release this February.

Comment

• Originally posted by spinctrl View Post
                    Xorg 1.6 is due for release this February.
                    and I won't be adopted by released distros until the refresh in spring.

Comment

• would someone with a working 4870/4850 ATI card (with working compiz and video) please post their Xorg?
                      I've spent ages configuring mine, but compiz performance is still terrible (screen doesn't refresh properly).
                      I'm on Arch Linux with XServer 1.5.3 and catalyst 9.1

a $300 graphics card that cant do compiz.

if not, I'll have to sell it and buy nvidia

seriously, my laptop with built in intel gfx works perfectly!

Comment

Working...
                      X