No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.1 Brings OpenGL 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still now hardware accelerated video playback . Come on AMD, it's already in the driver, provide some examples about how to use it!

Comment

Originally posted by gsacks View Post
      Nitpick: Why is the publish date on the article January 21st, when it just showed up an the 29th?
      Because that's when it should have been out... The date's been fixed now
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Maximixing windows and opening menus are STILL slow as molases with compositing. When the hell are they going to fix it. This is just plain suckage. For the love of god or whatever the hell you velieve in: FIX IT!

Comment

Originally posted by shamil.si View Post
          Yep, I can confirm, the issue with compositing still exists. When I use smplayer with XV enabled it just crashes my X (Ubuntu 8.10, Compiz or Metacity composite). Also OpenGL screen flickering is still there when using Compiz.
          How sad then... not only composite doesnt work with xv, not only it makes your Xorg crash(what a shame) but they even have the courage to lie.

Thanks AMD, would you please stop developing what you call a linux driver? At least you save money and avoid lying to your customers.

And to phoronix, instead of saying "oh this driver supports opengl 3!!!" , you should say: "oh, it's year 2009 and you can't watch videos with composite enabled!!!!". And also to be fair say, "Oh this NVIDIA driver not only works as it should with composite, but even supports opengl 3!!!".

And to AMD, would you please stop implementing features 99% of linux users dont care like crossfire and his friends? Do you know your driver is full of bugs, crashes and has plenty of other priorities things to be done first? What do you think I'm a stupid customer? Do you think just because you support crossfire it means you're serious? It seems you are trying to tell us: "Hey, we support the same things NVIDIA driver does!!!". What crap, instead of doing things that almost no one cares, can you please concentrate on more important things?

Give me one reason today, and I said TODAY, to buy an AMD card instead of NVIDIA? I always ask this question but never get a real answer, because there isnt an answer to this. And don't try to reply with the documentation crap story, I want my card to work today, not tomorrow. I don't open my wallet and pay for the glory of paying, I pay for something that works. And you don't work, sorry.

Yea, these are the right words to use.
          Last edited by bulletxt; 29 January 2009, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Oh god. Opening a video in SMPlayer made the desktop hang.

I pressed ALT+CTRL+Backspace to restart the X server.

The machine hung.

I pressed reset.

All my KDE setting are gone to nirvana.

AMD: F**K YOU. That's it. No more.

Comment

somebody mentioned running mythtv with 9.1? did they try, does it work any better? i've struggled with mythtv a LOT on all my AMD cards...would love it if 9.1 works better.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                mh under https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...t_91_linux.pdf the The R300 Family is listed.

or what you mean with "no r300 support" ?
                yes. its listed as supported but does not work on xserver 1.5. therefore it does not work on the most new distros with r300 hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                  How sad then... not only composite doesnt work with xv, not only it makes your Xorg crash(what a shame) but they even have the courage to lie.

Thanks AMD, would you please stop developing what you call a linux driver? At least you save money and avoid lying to your customers.

And to phoronix, instead of saying "oh this driver supports opengl 3!!!" , you should say: "oh, it's year 2009 and you can't watch videos with composite enabled!!!!". And also to be fair say, "Oh this NVIDIA driver not only works as it should with composite, but even supports opengl 3!!!".

And to AMD, would you please stop implementing features 99% of linux users dont care like crossfire and his friends? Do you know your driver is full of bugs, crashes and has plenty of other priorities things to be done first? What do you think I'm a stupid customer? Do you think just because you support crossfire it means you're serious? It seems you are trying to tell us: "Hey, we support the same things NVIDIA driver does!!!". What crap, instead of doing things that almost no one cares, can you please concentrate on more important things?

Give me one reason today, and I said TODAY, to buy an AMD card instead of NVIDIA? I always ask this question but never get a real answer, because there isnt an answer to this. And don't try to reply with the documentation crap story, I want my card to work today, not tomorrow.

Yea, these are the right words to use.
                  i know you are frustrated but stop ranting xD

Comment

Originally posted by MartjeB View Post
                    Still now hardware accelerated video playback . Come on AMD, it's already in the driver, provide some examples about how to use it!
                    Is xv working on Ati 1650XT with compositing and OS drivers or fglrx?

Comment

Sure it is nice that ATI offers OpenGL 3.0 support now but this support isn't anything special. OpenGL 3.0 itself doesn't brings relatively minor changes and promoted some extensions like FBO and srgb to core. The ATI drivers are just plain bording OpenGL 3.0 drivers which except for these minor changes didn't bring anything new. Comparing this to Nvidia their support they have been offering support for things like geometry shaders and other d3d10 functionality for a while. During the OpenGL 3.0 development the geometry shader extension was also promoted to ARB extension but it isn't part of the OpenGL 3.0 core (it will be part of 3.1). It would be exciting if ATI brought geometry shaders and other new extensions as right now it only brings marketing and no real new functionality which can be used to improve performance or allow new 3d effects.

Comment

Working...
                      X