No announcement yet.

Catalyst 9.1 is out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a problem with 9.1 Everything works actually great and a bit less flickering when watching movies. I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 and when ever I resume from hibernate I get a green bar atop the screen for a few seconds, which i can live with, however once I log into the desktop... say about a minute or two in the screen freezes and I have to restart the computer. None of the keys work so I cant log out. Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      We do not support Fedora with the fglrx driver
      Why do ATI support only few distributions while NVIDIA doesn't restrict that (i could even think that they support all distributions)? In fact it's very painful when I cannot install new drivers right after release. Instead I must wait when guys from rpmfusion work it out and first place it in testing and then in stable repo which takes some time. In the end i've got fully working driver but why can't it be at the beginning of release? With NVIDIA driver it's better.

btw. Isn't better to support Fedora instead of Ubuntu and therefore to support both of them?
      Last edited by NSLW; 30 January 2009, 04:52 PM.

Comment

nvidia supports no distri (officially). And.. I have no problems with ati - or not more than with nvidia. New driver - rename ebuild, emerge. Done.

Fedora is a crapfest. kernels full with experimental patches, constantly moving. Some weird X prereleases. You can't blame someone for not supporting that mess. If you want a supported distri - wel lthere is RHEL or if you don't want to shell out money - Novell's Suse products.

Comment

Originally posted by Heiko View Post
          Did it the same way as you (Ubuntu 8.04.2, 64 bits version):

aticonfig --lsa
          0 HD 3200 *
          1 HD 3450

aticonfig --cfa --adapter=1,0 // as HD 3450 was listed as adapter 1
          aticonfig --cf=on adapter=1 // as HD 3450 was listed as adapter 1

I didn't restart X in between.

Worked fine. Though I made sure no monitor/screen sections were in the xorg.conf that were using the HD3200 (according to Xorg.conf).
          Hm really weird my aticonfig --lscc shows exactly the opposite results and shows the HD 3450 one as primary adapter!
          djdoo@linux-b7zr:~> aticonfig --lscc

Master adapter: 0. 02:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 3450
          Candidates: 1. 01:05.0 ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
          Tell me something what version of Xorg does 8.04 Ubuntu have??
          Last edited by djdoo; 30 January 2009, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
            Hm really weird my aticonfig --lscc shows exactly the opposite results and shows the HD 3450 one as primary adapter!
            I had that one time as well when trying to get everything right. I don't know how. Probably after doing a driver reinstall, moving the /etc/ati directory to some other place, redo the package building (or graphical installation), moving /etc/X11/xorg.conf (and afterwards touch /etc/X11/xorg.conf to get an empty xorg.conf file).

And do an aticonfig --initial --adapter=all

Tell me something what version of Xorg does 8.04 Ubuntu have??
            My best guess is 7.3, but should be easy to find on the internet.

Comment

@Heiko:

It's 7.3 indeed...
              I asked you this cause I had enabled Hybrid Crossfire with openSuSE 11 which was shipped with Xorg 7.3 again at 64-bits back from the first driver supporting Hybrid Crossfire (I think it was 8.11?) even though it was not announced formally from AMD I read it at Phoronix from Michael and it really worked! Exactly the same way I tried to enable it with openSuse 11.1 and Xorg 7.4!

Note that the previous 8.12 driver showed me the HD 3200 card as a candidate for Crossfire ONLY at suse 11 and Xorg 7.3!!!
              When I used 8.12 at Xorg 7.4 it showed me none Crossfire candidate!
              First time I saw my HD 3450 as a crossfire candidate was today with Catalyst 9.1 driver.

Comment

With 9.1 I now get an "Unsupported Hardware" message in the lower right of the screen.

This is with a Sapphire 2600HD XT AGP. Now can anyone confirm whether this is a change of behaviour from previous Catalyst releases for Linux or if there's simply something wrong with my install?

I've checked that both /etc/ati/signature and /etc/ati/control match those from the install package.

Should it be the case that all future Catalyst releases will mark this kind of card as such is there a way to disable the logo? After all I really don't need to be continually reminded...

Comment

Guys does anyone of you has Hybrid Crossfire working with Xorg 7.4??

Comment

I also face great screen corruption when getting out of X at reboot or Shutdown and PC freezes!

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      Kde 4.2:
                      Only problem still unsolved: manually resizing is still slow. Not unusable, bad slow. Menus pop up instantly, windows move around without lag. Maximising has a very short lag. Like a tenth of a second. Switching between windows is lag free. Minimizing them to the task bar is an instant action.
                      Logout of KDE4 and then back in and enjoy the experience*. 9.1 is just as crappy as previous versions. You seem too happy to have broken drivers. I'm not.

*No more desktop effects. Have to reboot. Another bug that they don't fix. Nothing that required 3D works:

Code:
                      X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
                        Major opcode of failed request:  144 (GLX)
                        Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
                        Serial number of failed request:  17
                        Current serial number in output stream:  17
                      Last edited by RealNC; 30 January 2009, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X