No announcement yet.

Catalyst 9.1 is out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does any one experience random black screens for a second or two every now and then? I am currently using drivers 8.12?

Now I am waiting for 9.1 Ebuid for Gentoo and it would be nice to watch tearless movies.

For all those which are experiencing hangs on log out this might help. It helped me a lot, hang ups on log out and console corruption have nearly disappeared

Check if /var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles exists for your distribution (this is needed by atieventsd)
    ls -l /var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles

Otherwise you can fix it by creating one
    sudo mkdir -p /var/lib/xdm/authdir
    sudo ln -s /var/run/xauth /var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles

Check authatieventsd.sh script execution bit I think it should be set for executing the script or am I wrong!?
    ls -l /etc/ati/authatieventsd.sh

You can fix it by setting excution bit
    chmod 755 /etc/ati/authatieventsd.sh

or instead of this it is also possible to simply kill hanged process showing up something as sh -c "/etc/ati/authatieventsd.sh ..." before Xorg restart :?

Some people also say that it is not a bad idea to force restart X server on log out, so this depends on the DM you are using

for KDM ( I use kdm-4.1.4 before I've always used GDM with ATI and dual head configurations)
    vi /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
    Uncomment the following line under the section titled [X-:*-Core]:

TerminateServer=True

for GDM
    add following in /etc/X11/gdm/custom.conf

[daemon]
    AlwaysRestartServer=true

I am using Gentoo x86_64 on

AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor,
    ATI Technologies Inc Device 9442 HD 4850 (broke down so I am currently using HD4550 as short term replacement),
    Asus M3A32MVP Deluxe

Comment

Unsupported hardware

Originally posted by digital_aneurysm View Post
      With 9.1 I now get an "Unsupported Hardware" message in the lower right of the screen.

This is with a Sapphire 2600HD XT AGP. Now can anyone confirm whether this is a change of behaviour from previous Catalyst releases for Linux or if there's simply something wrong with my install?

I've checked that both /etc/ati/signature and /etc/ati/control match those from the install package.

Should it be the case that all future Catalyst releases will mark this kind of card as such is there a way to disable the logo? After all I really don't need to be continually reminded...
      I'm having the same problem, just upgraded to 9.1 from 8.12 and running aticonfig results in "No supported adapters detected". If I copy in my old xorg.conf file, I can start X, but get an "Unsupported hardware" logo in the bottom right corner.
      I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 x64 on a Dell XPS with two Radeon HD 3870 x2 cards.

Any ideas?

Comment

Use the /etc/ati/control file from old driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Use the /etc/ati/control file from old driver.
          Sweet! - that worked great thanks.

I've got 2 screens running with Xinerama, do you know if its possible to use 3 screens - all my attempts have so far failed?

Comment

Using 2 cards?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Using 2 cards?
              Yep - I've previously managed to get three screens running as individual desktops, but when I enable Xinerama, bad things happen and I loose the 3rd screen (which is on the second card).

I've tried playing around with amdccle which detects both cards, but when I apply changes and restart the machine, either I'm back with 2 screens or the system locks up after gdm starts and I have to press the power button an reboot and change xorg.conf manually.

Things now seem to have now gone worse, with amdccle giving me a "Floating point exception".

Are there any other config files other than xorg.cong which I may need to tinker with?
              Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Gujs View Post
                I also have a lot of problems with ati and wine. I just tried to play fifa 09 and I get a lot of artefacts. See picture:

I get similar problems in Oblivion with my R500. What card do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
                  I get similar problems in Oblivion with my R500. What card do you have?
                  I have Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4670 512MB PCI-E card.

Comment

Any information/experiences whether ATI has fixed the dual-head bug in 9.1?

I'm referring to the bug when, if you try to use anything OpenGL-acceleration-related on a system with xorg-server >=1.4 and dual-head without BigScreen (as configured by aticonfig --initial=dual-head), you get an instant system freeze...

I'm currently stuck with xorg-server-1.3/ati-drivers-8.543 (on Gentoo) because of that bug!

Comment

Originally posted by blabub View Post
                      Code:
                      fixme:d3d_shader:shader_glsl_load_constants >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from glUniform4fvARB @ glsl_shader.c / 524
                      fixme:d3d_shader:shader_glsl_load_constantsI >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from glUniform4ivARB @ glsl_shader.c / 401
                      fixme:d3d_shader:shader_glsl_select >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from glUseProgramObjectARB @ glsl_shader.c / 3570
                      fixme:d3d_shader:shader_glsl_load_constants >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from glUniform4fvARB @ glsl_shader.c / 524
                      fixme:d3d_shader:shader_glsl_load_constantsI >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from glUniform4ivARB @ glsl_shader.c / 401
                      Stuff like this. With NVidia it works fine (EvE Online here).
                      This is going to be a problem once CCP ends the classic client on March 10th. Currently I get no stations or ship models on the premium client on my HD4850 using wine through a chroot. I get the same errors as above and some errors about fragment shader(s) successfully compiled but failing to link. This on wine 1.1.15 and the 9.1 catalyst driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X