KMS for VirtualBox guest additions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KMS for VirtualBox guest additions?

Would it be feasible to add Kernel mode setting to the virtualbox driver found in the guest additions (I mean the OSE, obviously )??

I thought about it just because I was thinking about nice projects like wayland that make use of it, but KMS is available just on intel HW; so none with different HW could ever contribute directly to the project, until a driver for their specific HW is done.

So someone may ask: why not directly contribute to the specific HW drivers and leave virtualbox to sun?

a) first of all because it seems to me that virtualbox video driver is smaller and less complex than all the other drivers (since it provides less functionality, but userspace mode setting is exactly the thing I would like to port to kernelspace, nothing more for now)

b) second because, doing so, even people that will not see kms in the short term (like nVidia people, since nouveau is far from getting stable), could help directly to projects like wayland, or fixing bugs related to kms, too.

Is there anyone who knows well how VB video driver works, or can point to references/documents/stuffs sufficient to understand it and how to modify it?

I think the Best place to ask about KMS is in the vb forum http://forums.virtualbox.org/

Comment

Let me alter the question slightly ...

Replace all references to 'VirtualBox' with 'VMWare'. I think there might be some lurkers who can comment on that ...

Comment

VMWare isn't open source

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
          I think the Best place to ask about KMS is in the vb forum http://forums.virtualbox.org/
          I will, I just wanted to have some thoughts before registering to another forum, remembering another password and so on

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
          Let me alter the question slightly ...

Replace all references to 'VirtualBox' with 'VMWare'. I think there might be some lurkers who can comment on that ...
          I would like it.... but the sources?? I use virtualbox because it is free. (and I can play with its code )

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
            VMWare isn't open source
            Sure. But a good number of X / mesa developers are now employed by vmware, so I would expect vmware to start supporting this quickly.

Comment

as far as I know they have only bought out tungsten graphics

mesa != tungsten and as far as that goes there are even non tungsten people working on galluim3d ie nouveau and radeon guys

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                mesa != tungsten
                Didn't say mesa == tungsten. I'll still bet you that KMS appears in vmware before virtualbox.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                  Didn't say mesa == tungsten. I'll still bet you that KMS appears in vmware before virtualbox.
                  This is for sure if nobody works on it for virtualbox. Since virtualbox IS opensource (well a sort of ) we can this happen before that for VMWare.

But if we do not even try.. it won't happen soon.

Comment

I'm more worried about DRI2 and Gallium3D support than KMS.

Comment

Working...
                    X