fglrxKonf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

single head and dual head?

What is the differene between single head and dual head configuration? You have a tv-out working under single head, and you can have two screens under it, righ?

How do you switch between those two screens (to work on a document in one and watch a movie on the other)? How do you do that in dual head mode?

And, could someone attach a file with output of available poverstates under their video card? My Radeon 9200 just has one powerstate available.

Comment

single head is using only one display head while dual head is using two.

One of the limitations with the current ATI fglrx drivers is that it does not allow three display heads -- so no dual LCDs and a TV-out running concurrently. ATI's Big Desktop works quite nicely for two monitors.

With aticonfig look after the Dynamic Display Management Options, and there are some related options in the --help.

$ aticonfig --lsp
      core/mem [flags]
      -----------------
      1: 128/135 MHz [low voltage]
      2: 324/135 MHz
      * 3: 392/342 MHz [default state]

(From a T60)
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        single head is using only one display head while dual head is using two.
        By "head" I understand "a monitor or a tv"?

But clone, mirror, big desktop modes (with two monitors or one monitor one tv) are all single head modes...

So, what is the difference in true dual head mode? Two x sessions or what?

And again, what do I do with two monitors, unless they are in clone, mirror or big desktop modes? how do I work on two desktops, how do I switch to use the same mouse/keyboard between the two?

Comment

Big Desktop uses one X server where as the true dual head mode will use two.

I am afraid I may be misinterpreting your question. You can work on two desktops if setting up Big Desktop or dual head modes. Those can be done through aticonfig using aticonfig --initial=dual-head or aticonfig --dtop=horizontal
          Michael Larabel

Comment

I have just published a new version of fglrxKonf at www.kde-apps.org.

Please look at it and comment. It is a much enhanced version.

Comment

Looks nice, I will try it out next time I turn on a KDE box. Are you going to implement any PowerPlay functions with the program?
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Looks nice, I will try it out next time I turn on a KDE box. Are you going to implement any PowerPlay functions with the program?
                Yes, but it will take some time for me. I will have to learn to play with Array functions of Kommander, since the options have to be read from the aticonfig -lsp output.

Does GTK have anything like Kommander? I will not do it, but it must be pretty simple to transfer what I have done to another tool like that.

Regarding the double head: I once tried it, so it really seemed like two x sessions were started, and I saw a completely new (and empty) desktop on my TV head. However, I could not figure out how to do things on both desktops simultaneously.

E.g., could I edit a document on one desktop while playing a movie on another via tv-out? How do I switch to work from one head to the other?

Comment

Usually the desktop is just spanned (or cloned) across the two heads, so you would just drag your cursor over to the second head.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Usually the desktop is just spanned (or cloned) across the two heads, so you would just drag your cursor over to the second head.
                    Not in the dual head mode: I could not do that there

Comment

Will give this alpha a shot. Thanks!
                      ---

Comment

Working...
                      X