Thread: The State of X Server 1.6: Still Missing

Default The State of X Server 1.6: Still Missing

Phoronix: The State of X Server 1.6: Still Missing

For those that haven't noticed or have forgot, X Server 1.6, which was the update Intel wanted out by the end of 2008, still hasn't been released. The latest schedule for X Server 1.6.0 called for a January 5th release, but that had simply passed by and there wasn't even a release candidate. As it stands right now, no code has been committed to X Server 1.6 since the first release candidate was tagged over two weeks ago...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzAxOA

Are distros in alpha waiting to ship the new Xorg until it's officially released, or do they just pack what's available?

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    Are distros in alpha waiting to ship the new Xorg until it's officially released, or do they just pack what's available?
    That depends: If it's Fedora, they'll package it in whatever state, otherwise distros will stay with the stable ones

Well.. a bit more honest: If it's in a stable-like state, distros like Ubuntu will probably ship it, too, otherwise most will stay with the real stable ones.

I think the original 1.6 content and schedule was picked specifically to make sure that the major distros *could* pick it up in their spring release.

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    Ubuntu 9.04 is currently tracking X Server 1.6.

Man, I thank the developers of X server. I am sure they are working hard.

Default I believe this is your explanation.

http://bgoglin.livejournal.com/16547.html

A note from the developer on Xorg .

Development was being done in Debian by Julien and not in X.org by Brice, due to his busy schedule.

I'm eagerly waiting for a solid release. Gentoo won't put this in their official package repository until then.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWind View Post
    http://bgoglin.livejournal.com/16547.html

A note from the developer on Xorg .

Development was being done in Debian by Julien and not in X.org by Brice, due to his busy schedule.
    Thanks for the link. I'm too waiting eagerly for 1.6, if I was wealthy enough I would hire somebody to help with X projects.