AMD gets beaten by NVidia, any plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    These cards can't run games, sorry :P Only maybe very old ones.
    Alright, pacman -S pacman

Comment

Re the suggestion that AMD license CUDA and/or PhysX from NVidia:

You really, really don't want to standardize on an API that's owned by one hardware vendor and licensed to that vendor's competitors. Google EAX and Creative Labs for where that road leads.

Comment

That's just corporate politics and of no real value.

Comment

no, that is 'reality bites'. CUDA will go the way of glide - and good riddance.

Comment

CUDA works and is actually being used. It's supported. Just like glide. It was awesome. It worked. It was supported. It kicked ass. Everyone wanted it and the only way to get it was to buy a 3dfx. NVidia does this right now. And it works. That's why NVidia beat AMD for the current generation of hardware. ATI owners are waiting for the "better tomorrow". NVidia owners are enjoying the today.

Comment

OpenCL was initiated after Cuda was there.
              There is great use for Cuda, but people tend to prefer open standards.
              Apple initiated OpenCL and OpenCL will be adopted by all major players in the market.
              Be it software or hardware.

Honestly as harsh as it may sound, nobody really cares about your whining.
              You can't play your favorite game _NOW_ with that additional bling, go sell your card and buy an NVidia card !

Regarding your previous posts, I doubt that PhysX will ever work on Linux... wouldn't make sense to port soon to be legacy API's to Linux. What they will probably/hopefully port/support is OpenCL.

BTW Last summer I bought myself my first ATI card in the hope that it would soon be supported and working well on Linux.
              Well as the doc. release got delayed again and again there is only a limited OSS driver out right now...where I can't even watch fullscreen movies in mplayer.
              (Not to talk about the kde4.2 bling...)

But I don't care for now... I swapped my annoyingly noisy NVidia card back in and am eagerly awaiting the day I can finally "completey" free my computer from proprietary crapsoft :-).

So I guess either take action and do as suggested already many times or at least stop bitching about PhysX and Cuda and whatnot.

Comment

cuda only works with nvidia hardware. And glide sucked. It was a subset of opengl. Very reduced funtionailty, hard to program. Crap.
                That is why it died a quick death. Nvidia bought the remains - and 3dfx 'knowledge' created the Geforce FX series - the biggest disaster in graphics so far.
                CUDA will be dead soon. Larrabee will be the final nail in the coffin.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  cuda only works with nvidia hardware.
                  Uhm, that's what I'm saying. NVidia has the lead here. It's an exclusive feature. Note: *feature*.

And glide sucked. It was a subset of opengl. Very reduced funtionailty, hard to program. Crap.
                  Who cares? It was supported. The games ran fast. Everyone wanted a 3dfx. It was the leader back then. Nothing could come even close to it.

That is why it died a quick death. Nvidia bought the remains - and 3dfx 'knowledge' created the Geforce FX series - the biggest disaster in graphics so far.
                  CUDA will be dead soon. Larrabee will be the final nail in the coffin.
                  "Will be", "shall", "next year", "we plan to", "probably we will"...

RIGHT NOW Nvidia is where you can do the fun stuff. Not ATI. NVidia.

Comment

only for a short time. And then came the TNT2 and Geforce and killed 3dfx completly.

Oh - and does NVIDIA support STREAM? No? Well, that proves it, AMD has the lead - nvidia doesn't even support stream. lol. What about double precision floating point? Does CUDA support it? 6 month ago it didn't. Has that changed yet?

Comment

Sigh. I'm talking to a wall.

CUDA is supported and companies are announcing that they will use it. Even if Stream is 100 times better, it's useless if no one uses it. Go buy a car that doesn't run on normal gasoline but needs some stuff no one actually sells. It will just sit there being useless even if it's otherwise the most powerful car on earth.

Comment

Working...
                      X