No announcement yet.

Radeon X1650: How to enable Compiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you running with kernel modesetting enabled ?
    Test signature

Comment

Sorry for the delay, bridgman. I didn't note the second page for the thread until today.

Yes, I think I'm running with kernel modesetting enabled, since boot starts in graphical mode just after grub. Anyway, I've added an option ("radeon.agpmode=-1") to the grub kernel commandline, to be sure:

Code:
         title Fedora (2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.PAE)
              root (hd0,1)
              kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.PAE ro root=UUID=612800e0-bb0c-4ced-b859-868f6c8c31c1 [COLOR="Lime"]radeon.agpmode=-1[/COLOR] rhgb quiet
              initrd /initrd-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.PAE.img
      I suppose the "-1" is correct for my pci-express card (?).

Anyway, no difference after adding the option: If I enable compiz, the desktop get slower (firefox scroll, mplayer, etc). So I've disabled compiz again.

Comment

I think the boot option is "nomodeset. Nothing to do with agpmode.

I don't actually remember why I asked about kernel modesetting at the time, but I'm sure there was a reason
        Test signature

Comment

Hehe. Thanks for your help anyway

Comment

ok, now I remember; kemnel modesetting needs memory management but the mesa driver didn't support memory management... so I *think* you had to disable kernel modesetting to get accelerated 3D...

something like that anyways, give it a try; "nomodeset" in your boot string
            Test signature

Comment

Working...
            X