X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI 9200 + FC6+ Kernel 2.6.20-1.2925.fc6 problem Please HELP

Hey Everyone,

Is there an updated script for Micheal post:

That will work for ATI 9200 + FC6+ Kernel 2.6.20-1.2925.fc6. I have not been able to successfully get the Fglrx driver working with any kernel and its been days working at it. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

lokielogics,

If you manually patch the newer firegl_public code from 8.34 with the 2.6.20 patch, you should be able to then backport that code into the 8.28.8 driver using my script.

Otherwise once this month's driver is out, I'll push out some new updated firegl_public code for the legacy driver.

Will that work for you?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hey Michael,

Thank you for the quick response. I have been working on this for so long, I had no idea that my card would cause so many problems. I am new to FC6 so bare with me.

I install a fresh copy of FC6, then I updated all the packages so I now have kernel 2.6.20-1.2925.fc6 i686. At this point should I download the
      ATI Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver 8.28.8. and install it. because when I try that I get the following error

ATI module generator V 2.0
      ==========================
      initializing...
      cat: /lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2925.fc6/build/include/linux/version-*.h: No such file or directory
      Error:
      kernel includes at /lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2925.fc6/build/include do not match current kernel.
      they are versioned as ""
      instead of "2.6.20-1.2925.fc6".
      you might need to adjust your symlinks:
      - /usr/include
      - /usr/src/linux
      error: Bad exit status from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-12875-root/tmp/rpm-tmp.54023 (%install)

RPM build errors:
      Bad exit status from /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.28.8-1-12875-root/tmp/rpm-tmp.54023 (%install)
      Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install

One more thing, I tried install the kmod-fglrx, which did install however X does not start. I get a message saying it can not find a matching device for PCI:1.0.1.

I will not give up until I get this working because desktop managers like beryl requires it and I really want to give FC6 a good chance.

Thank you

Comment

One more thing, here is the output from running fglxinfo:

display: :0.0 screen: 0
        OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
        OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R200 20060602 AGP 1x x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL
        OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.3 Mesa 6.5.1)

this is with the kmod-fglrx installed.

Thanks

Comment

why do you want to install 8.28.8 instead of "latest and greatest" 8.34 ?

or am i missing something here?

Comment

I don't think that ATI 9200 card supports the latest driver. I can't get it from ATI site. If I can install it let me know, because I have been getting mixed feedback from different sources. I think I will follow instructions from you guys. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

You are correct in that the R200 (9200) is not supported by the latest driver (8.34), but firegl_public is, which is where the 2.6.20 patch applies. The firegl_public will still remain compatible a bit longer. Yoshi, R200 support was dropped in 8.28.8

However, lokieslogics, Beryl (without XGL) will not work with the fglrx drivers. If you want to use Beryl, use the open-source drivers (the drivers that are already working/used by default).
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

oh, right now i remember. sorry about that.

yeah, i thought about open drivers as well. they're good enough with older cards as i have noticed with my friend's 9x00 card. (i think it was radeon 9600)

Comment

The open drivers for R200 are quite good, in actuality- of course, your mileage may vary with it... :-)

The fglrx drivers with my RV370 part (Xpress 200M) work decently enough (and actually now sort of work with the integrated RAM turned on- but it's unstable so I'm doing UMA only operation...)- but they're sssssllllloooowwww on this laptop compared to the R200 DRI drivers for games that aren't programmable shader happy.

UT2k3/2k4 won't play on my AMD64 laptop, but will play on the older laptop I recently acquired that is a 1.7 GHz P4 with a Radeon Mobile 9000 on board. Same goes for a host of other 3D games. Some will, many won't play well on my main laptop. Pretty much anything other than the shader heavy Doom3 and Quake4 will run adequately on the other one so far. I was pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Its good to talk to people that have extensive knowledge about these cards and software. Please bare with me if my questions seems dumb, but would like to clear up these things once and for all.

1) Is the open source driver the kmod-fglrx or the driver that comes with the default installation of FC6?

2) Michael you mentioned the firegl_public application supports my current kernel, where do I get that application?

3) My understanding so far is that if I want to use beryl I shouldn't install the ATI Proprietary Linux drivers, only open source driver work with that? I thought beryl uses direct 3d rendering?

I guess my next steps will be confirmed once I clear up these questions?

Thanks alot guys

Comment

Working...
                    X