3D Stereo with nvidia linux drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Stereo with nvidia linux drivers

My brother and I bought some eDimensional 3d glasses (http://www.edimensional.com/product_...products_id=28)

We haven't received them just yet so I've been doing some research trying to find out if I can get them to work at all on linux. There are alot of if's and but's already with 3d stereo - even before we mix in linux, so we'll see what happens when the glasses show up. Supposedly you can enable a Stereo option in xorg.conf with nvidia drivers, but so far I haven't had any success. Whether this is due to it not being enabled for my hardware or for the 180.22 drivers, or whether its because I'm on 64bit gentoo or something else entirely, I don't know. I do know that with xorg.conf
    Code:
    Option "Stereo" "1" #(or 2,3,4,5)
    and running glxgears -stereo, I get
    Code:
    Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered, Stereo visual
    Which I haven't found much info on either.
    I have a geforce 8800 gts and an Nvidia Quadro NVS 285.
    Code:
    nvidia-settings -q all | grep Stereo
    With this doesn't list any stereo option... whether this is obligatory I don't know either.

On windows xp, i've read, you have to either use the software based eDimensional wrapper solution or you have to use some pretty old drivers (and therefore some pretty old gfx cards). On vista 32-bit there's a new driver - made for Nvidia's new 3d glasses - there is also a risk that these work inverted of how the eDimensional work, like in the older drivers, and that you can't change this setting... and therefore have to buy an inverter.

Then there's the whole refreshrate thing where you have to have a monitor with an absolute minimum of 85hz, or your eyes will go crazy and explode from flickering. I plan to use my DLP Optoma HD65 projector, which does take inputs of 100hz and 85hz in different resolutions - and reports that it's running at these speeds - however I think it's basically just lying (Update: it IS lying). Then there's the possibility that I can use my brother's Optoma HD65 together with mine in a sort of dual mode thing... but I haven't really found much information on that either (I think you need the DualHead2Go thing).

If anyone can shed some more light on this topic in general I'd love to hear about it. Additions and corrections are welcome. Once I get the glasses and test the hell out of them I'll be back to reply what I've found of course.

Update: So I tried the glasses in linux and it's not going to work. As I understand it, the way xorg 3D stereo works in linux is by utilizing Quad Buffered OpenGL. This is only available on quadro cards. I have a quadro card, but this particular model doesn't support it (yey)..

Here's a bit on xorg.conf Stereo option and UBB option

As a quick end note, 3d stereo does work in that other operating system using the iz3d.com drivers and E-D activator. You really need more than 60hz refreshrate though.

The information I've got comes from
    Toms Hardware Article on 3d wall sized display - very interesting stuff for sure on the eDimensional drivers and nvidia drivers for windows xp, from 2007
    The nvidia page on the new vista drivers
    nvidia-xconfig man - the man page for nvidia-xconfig - is that an older version of nvidia-settings? Talks about the different stereo options
    a thread reply on the linux stereo option by a guy that sounds like he's got it working
    xorg.conf options and explanation
    Last edited by unlotto; 22 January 2009, 05:59 PM. Reason: new info

Hello,

I would like to follow up on your experience with this. Did you solve it, and if so how? I sent you a PM, although the system does not seem to show it being sent. Please let me know if you don't get it.

Michel

Comment

No, it was a complete failure.

Originally posted by MichelNC View Post
      Hello,

I would like to follow up on your experience with this. Did you solve it, and if so how? I sent you a PM, although the system does not seem to show it being sent. Please let me know if you don't get it.

Michel

Comment

To my knowledge, quad-buffer stereo is only supported on Quadro FX series cards (and I think ATI FireGL). It probably works in Windows because NVIDIA lets you use 3D Vision in DirectX with regular (e.g. GeForce series) cards, but not in OpenGL.

Comment

Working...
        X