Help me pick a Budget Graphics Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick a Budget Graphics Card

I am looking for a cheap and good replacement for my current integrated graphics card.
    I don't game very much on my PC, maybe playing Spore or Nexuiz. Last year's midrange models are fine.
    My primary criterion is a card that has solid Linux support.

Target price: up to $80.
    Any suggestions? (I don't mind going over budget)

How about NV 9600 GT?

Comment

The NV 9600 GT is a fine choice. Aside from fan noise during startup and shutdown, I'm very happy with mine.

However, you should know that it requires a 6 pin PCIe connector from your power supply.

Graphics card compatibility checklist:
      Does your power supply have a PCIe connector?
      How many watts does it supply? How many amps on the 12 volt rail(s)?
      What kind of slot does your motherboard have? PCIe, AGP, or plain PCI only?

If it's a retail bought PC (in other words, not custom built) it probably doesn't have a PCIe connector.

Comment

It is not really required, usually you find an adapter for 2 old power connectors in the package. Works fine too.

Comment

Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
          The NV 9600 GT is a fine choice. Aside from fan noise during startup and shutdown, I'm very happy with mine.

However, you should know that it requires a 6 pin PCIe connector from your power supply.

Graphics card compatibility checklist:
          Does your power supply have a PCIe connector?
          How many watts does it supply? How many amps on the 12 volt rail(s)?
          What kind of slot does your motherboard have? PCIe, AGP, or plain PCI only?

If it's a retail bought PC (in other words, not custom built) it probably doesn't have a PCIe connector.
          I just checked. It does have PCIe x1 and x16

Comment

Originally posted by the7thmagus View Post
            I just checked. It does have PCIe x1 and x16
            Those are PCI Express slots. Graphics cards that draw more than 75 watts require an extra power cable to be connected to them to give them enough power. If you are looking at a card like the 9600GT that needs more than 75 watts of power, your PSU needs to be at least 380 watts and have a PCI Express power cable. The page below has a picture of the different types of power cables in a computer to help you ID a PCI Express power cable:

Comment

Working...
            X