Cant get the radeon driver to work at all on Kubuntu 8.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant get the radeon driver to work at all on Kubuntu 8.10

Hello, i just installed a fresh Kubuntu distro on ly laptop, and neither the installer nor the actual X server are able to get my GPU to work properly, my card is a:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M9+ 5C61 [Radeon Mobility 9200 (AGP)] (rev 01)

Currently i can only log in with the generic 'vesa' driver with a meager 800x600 resolution; when i just try to change the driver in my xorg.conf file and start up the X server all i get is a black screen that wont even allow me to fall back to a console and i must hard boot, so no way of cheching the logs either.

Im thinking maybe this is a problem with the default Ubuntu Kernel? I had this working just fine on my in-house compiled vanilla kernel before a crash forced me to format.

Trying to update to the PPA's xorg video drivers has not helped either.

Any help will be appreciated

Sounds like it might be AGP related. Try adding:
    Option "AGPMode" "1"
    to the device section of your config. If that doesn't work, try disabling the DRI:
    Option "DRI" "False"

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      If that doesn't work, try disabling the DRI:
      Option "DRI" "False"
      Thanks! This helped me.

I can now log in with full resolution, but I wonder why is DRI not working? It was fine a couple of weeks ago; does this mean the hardware is no longer fully supported for DRI and therefore no more Compiz?

Comment

Originally posted by havok1977 View Post
        Thanks! This helped me.

I can now log in with full resolution, but I wonder why is DRI not working? It was fine a couple of weeks ago; does this mean the hardware is no longer fully supported for DRI and therefore no more Compiz?
        The DRI should still work fine. As I said, try AGP options:
        Option "AGPMode" "X"
        Where X = 1 or 2 or 4 or 8.

Comment

The DRI should still work fine. As I said, try AGP options:
          Option "AGPMode" "X"
          Where X = 1 or 2 or 4 or 8.
          Thanks again,

I wasn't aware that this parameter could go as high as 8 (1, 2 and 4 were a no go); so 8 was what finally got things working for me.

Cheers!

And in case anyone has the same hardware; I can only get desktop effects to work when i configure xorg's DefaultDepth parameter at 16 bits; with 24 it just wont work...

Comment

Can you pastebin the output of lspci -vn and your xorg log so I can add a quirk for your card/motherboard combo so you don't have to add this option in the future?

Comment

Can you pastebin the output of lspci -vn and your xorg log so I can add a quirk for your card/motherboard combo so you don't have to add this option in the future?
              Thanks for that,

lspci -nv:

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log: (on 24 bits)

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

thanks. pushed!

549ae63aecc2624a69b41ce4db75883d03d59c23

Comment

Working...
                X