No announcement yet.

2D slowness in r500 radeon EXA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, just finished. BTW, 6.10.0 would not compile with that defined. Patch for that:
    diff -Naur xf86-video-ati-6.10.0/src/radeon_exa_render.c xf86-video-ati-6.10.0.fixed/src/radeon_exa_render.c
    --- xf86-video-ati-6.10.0/src/radeon_exa_render.c 2009-01-06 21:36:58.000000000 +0200
    +++ xf86-video-ati-6.10.0.fixed/src/radeon_exa_render.c 2009-01-21 19:55:52.000000000 +0200
    @@ -539,7 +539,7 @@
    return FALSE;

if (pDstPicture->format == PICT_a8 && RadeonBlendOp[op].dst_alpha)
    - RADEON_FALLBACK("Can't dst alpha blend A8\n");
    + RADEON_FALLBACK(("Can't dst alpha blend A8\n"));

if (pMask)
    info->accel_state->has_mask = TRUE;
    @@ -847,7 +847,7 @@
    return FALSE;

if (pDstPicture->format == PICT_a8 && RadeonBlendOp[op].dst_alpha)
    - RADEON_FALLBACK("Can't dst alpha blend A8\n");
    + RADEON_FALLBACK(("Can't dst alpha blend A8\n"));

if (pMask)
    info->accel_state->has_mask = TRUE;

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Running 1.5.1 currently, I'll wait till a formal release of 1.6 is out before wandering there

Trying different things from git trunks has the tendency of checking out during times when components do not work together well, or right in the middle of a commit series, etc.

Is the X server the only cause?
      Note that 1.5.3 includes at least one EXA performance fix:

With 1.5.3 I got a nice speedup over 1.5.2:

Comment

Well, I wanted to give it a day's use before showing the log. Xorg.0.log was 500kb instead of the usual 25kb.

As far as I can see, the only message from that debug option repeating is:
        R300CheckCompositeTexture: Unsupported picture format 0x1011000
        I wonder why it says composite, since JWM does not do compositing. Anyway, in the case I missed something, here's the log uniq'd:

(no pastebin, for the X copy buffer seems to be too small for the log)

Comment

As far as I can see, the only message from that debug option repeating is:

R300CheckCompositeTexture: Unsupported picture format 0x1011000
          That's the a1 (single bit alpha) format, which EXA doesn't accelerate yet.

I wonder why it says composite, since JWM does not do compositing.
          The EXA hooks for RENDER acceleration are called composite. Doesn't matter whether you are using a composting manager or not. I'm guessing JWM uses a1 for anti-aliased fonts. kde 4 did something similar and that's why it was slow. They should really be using a8 since both EXA and a lot more hardware can support a8.

Comment

Is support for that difficult to implement? Can it happen before 1.6 is out?

Comment

Is support for that difficult to implement? Can it happen before 1.6 is out?
              Not likely. Only very recent hw even supports a1 surfaces natively. I suppose you could do some tricks with color expansion on older hw, but core EXA would need a1 support first.

Comment

some tricks with color expansion on older hw
                Is this how XAA handled it?

Comment

XAA is mostly sw. It's faster in some cases because it doesn't even attempt to accelerate most things so there's no migration of data between vram and system ram (which is where you lose).

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    EXA has preformed well for me for a while now. xserver 1.5 should be fine for the most part. 1.6 mainly improves font rendering preformance. Are you using kde 4 by any chance? IIRC kde 4 uses render bits that aren't accelerated with EXA at the moment.
                    Mmm... this could be the cause of KDE 4 running sluggishly with radeon with EXA and running amazingly fast with vesa.

Comment

Originally posted by panda84 View Post
                      Mmm... this could be the cause of KDE 4 running sluggishly with radeon with EXA and running amazingly fast with vesa.
                      that's exactly why. kde4 uses a1 surfaces.

Comment

Working...
                      X