Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.29-rc1 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.29-rc1 Kernel Released

The first release candidate for the Linux 2.6.29 kernel is now available. The Linux 2.6.29 kernel features kernel mode-setting support (only on Intel hardware, currently), the Btrfs file-system, and a number of new drivers and updates to others...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Filesystem snapshots

What the release announcement misses is that filesystem freeze is getting implemented for some filesystems, I spotted xfs and ext3 already. Filesystem freeze is the first step to allow snapshots, and it seems that this is the exact reason they're implementing filesystem freeze. Can't wait to be able to do snapshots of ext3 partitions that are online!

Comment

Mmmm... Squash 4.0

Comment

finally, squashfs in-kernel :]

Comment

Yes, it is great that SquashFS has finally found its way into the kernel. Too bad that the bzip2 and lzma patches were rejected, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
            Yes, it is great that SquashFS has finally found its way into the kernel. Too bad that the bzip2 and lzma patches were rejected, but still.
            Those *might* make it into another kernel release, so don't fret...

Comment

You know how extra slow LZMA is? It would be great for packing the ati driver (about 50% smaller possible) but usually you need ages to create it and gain only 10% or less more space.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                You know how extra slow LZMA is? It would be great for packing the ati driver (about 50% smaller possible) but usually you need ages to create it and gain only 10% or less more space.
                Indeed it is dog slow, but two things. One, it does give a choice , and second as they say, for do_it_seldom_and_forget_it stuff like livecds .

However, personally as I have bigger and bigger storage, such computationally intesive compression is not worth my patience.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  You know how extra slow LZMA is?
                  It is slow during compression but, depending on your use case that could still be acceptable and outweighed by the better compression ratio. Think distribution packages, which need to be created only once and then mirrored, downloaded and installed many times. Or live cds as was pointed out by hdas.

Comment

I create myself live images, you must really love waisting time

Comment

Working...
                    X