No announcement yet.

Linux 2.6.29-rc1 Kernel Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even decompressing LZMA hurts a lot. When testing a livecd in Qemu, that had a 10mb initramfs (gzipped), it was extracted in about 3 secs. When testing the same, but lzma packed, it was ~6.5mb, but decompression took over a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano
      I create myself live images, you must really love waisting time
      Originally posted by curaga
      Even decompressing LZMA hurts a lot. When testing a livecd in Qemu, that had a 10mb initramfs (gzipped), it was extracted in about 3 secs. When testing the same, but lzma packed, it was ~6.5mb, but decompression took over a minute.
      @ Kano: I create live images too, but not as fancy as sidux . And trust me, I don't like wasting time too. For some numbers, my filesystem is about 6gb (reiserfs) and it compresses it to about 2gb using regular squashfs in 20 minutes. It takes nearly 2hrs using squashfs+lzma and does it to 1.6gb. So I stick to plain squashfs. Although a choice is still good - like when I am desperate to fit it to a 2gb flash drive .

Aside, if you have some spare bandwidth, you may check out my livedvd from here:

(Its a gentoo 2007.0 live-dvd and is getting old. Some stuff like kernel, drivers, internet and multimedia are up to date though. Waiting for kde 4.3 to do my next emerge .)

@curaga and Kano : Indeed decompressing hurts too. Its not slow, but it kills the cpu. Especially live-dvds created with 128kB blocksize literally stutter on a mid-range machine.

Comment

Working...
      X