Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New, Easy To Use Disk Formatter For GNOME

Phoronix: A New, Easy To Use Disk Formatter For GNOME

GParted is an excellent GNOME program for editing partitions, changing file-systems, and performing related disk tasks. However, GParted is not exactly the ideal program for new Linux users to familiarize themselves with if all they want to do is format a USB drive or external storage device. Fortunately, a new GNOME utility has come about that supersedes GFloppy and is designed to be a simple yet powerful disk formatting utility. In this article we are taking an introductory look at GNOME Format.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is awesome! Finally, a way to easily encrypt a hard drive. I have been waiting for this for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by williamthrilliam View Post
      This is awesome! Finally, a way to easily encrypt a hard drive. I have been waiting for this for a while.
      Now only if you can select what type of encryption engine you want such as AES, LUKS, or even Blowfish.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
        Now only if you can select what type of encryption engine you want such as AES, LUKS, or even Blowfish.
        I'm sure someone who'd care about that already has the appropriate command-line tools of the job

Comment

Wow -- this is absolutely amazing. Just the other day I had a user who was needing to format their Flash Drive, and I quickly realized there was no easy way to do this, and I wasn't about to try and show them how to use GParted.

This too is perfect for that.

Is someone making a .deb for this?

Comment

Need to use DeviceKit

The makers of this new formatting utility should use DeviceKit, which is supersedes HAL and is developed by Red Hat.

Comment

Originally posted by mdmadph View Post
              Is someone making a .deb for this?

Getdeb.net
              will have one whenever this is reasonably stable.

Comment

I may be dumb, but what exactly is the problem with GParted? It gives you a list of all disks. It displays existing partitions for the selected disk. Finally, it gives you a couple of buttons ("new partition", "delete partition", "resize partition" etc). Inspect the disks, select the one you want and click "new partition" - what's complicated about that?

I fail to see how the new tool is any easier to use. It contains a couple of nice features (volume names and encryption), but wouldn't it better to add these in GParted? In fact, the new tool seems to lack the visual represantation of existing partitions, which is *criminal* (it makes it all too easy to delete / format the wrong partition if you have two identical disks).

Comment

@BlackStar: the usability improvement over GParted is clearly visible in the way both apps are designed. And it wouldn't be better to add tihs to GParted, because the two apps are made for different use cases. You don't just combine use cases together.

Comment

Well a simple script that uses sfdisk + mkfs would be able to do the same without any mouse click But of course a gui is better for beginners.

Comment

Working...
                    X