Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phoenix HyperSpace: An Instant-On Linux Environment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix HyperSpace: An Instant-On Linux Environment?

Phoronix: Phoenix HyperSpace: An Instant-On Linux Environment?

Fifteen months ago we exclusively showed off SplashTop from DeviceVM, which was an instant-on Linux environment embedded into ASUS motherboards and since then it has worked its way into products from other OEMs. DeviceVM continues to work on further refining SplashTop by adding in virtualization support and other features, along with a promised developer SDK. Phoenix Technologies, the company producing the BIOSes for many of the motherboards on the market, is today introducing their SplashTop competitor. HyperSpace is the Phoenix Technologies product being unveiled this morning with several distinct differences from SplashTop.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The video are private, so I can't watch them :-/

Apart from that, looks quite interesting

Comment

Videos should be live now.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

IE7 theme for firefox.. Why, why?

Comment

I quote Michael
          You can essentially get the same thing as HyperSpace by running a highly optimized and configured Linux distribution, which in most cases will cost you nothing but some time
          So why Phoenix, that realizes BIOSes doesn't insert it into the BIOS directly?
          It's of no use having a stripped down linux version which boots in 20+ seconds and occupies a partition on the HD!!! And $50 a year?!?!??

IMHO this kind of stuff is useful if it's inserted into the BIOS, boots in 3 seconds allowing you to perform simple tasks like playing MP3s, checking the mailbox or watching photos... For all the other tasks, there's the OS itself.

It should just be a BIOS replacement / companion

Comment

Originally posted by TeoLinuX View Post
            I quote Michael

So why Phoenix, that realizes BIOSes doesn't insert it into the BIOS directly?
            It's of no use having a stripped down linux version which boots in 20+ seconds and occupies a partition on the HD!!! And $50 a year?!?!??

IMHO this kind of stuff is useful if it's inserted into the BIOS, boots in 3 seconds allowing you to perform simple tasks like playing MP3s, checking the mailbox or watching photos... For all the other tasks, there's the OS itself.

It should just be a BIOS replacement / companion
            It could be that it was just installed on the harddrive for promotional and demonstration purposes. They were most likely trying to emphasize the quick switching capabilities between Hyperspace and Vista and not much else beyond that.

Comment

XBMC on HyperSpace?

Anyone tried getting XBMC Media Center running under HyperSpace yet?
              Kodi is a free media player that is designed to look great on your big screen TV but is just as at home on a small screen.

Comment

Does HyperSpace Hybrid work with a Linux OS on the hard drive? We tested this out by resizing the Windows partition and loading up Ubuntu 8.10 in the remaining space while preserving all partitions. When GRUB was installed the Windows Vista boot option remained, but the support for booting into HyperSpace was eliminated. When then booting into Windows Vista, it would directly boot without any option of going into HyperSpace Hybrid.
                While Ubuntu was installing, it probably configured GRUB for the Ubuntu and Windows partitions and simply ignored the HyperSpace partition. I think that's why HyperSpace stopped working afterward. Ubuntu's GRUB replaced whatever was launching HyperSpace.

What happens if you add an entry for HyperSpace to GRUB's menu.lst?
                Last edited by StringCheesian; 06 January 2009, 05:27 PM. Reason: added quote

Comment

useless

First of it's not Linux, it only uses linux.
                  Secondly it takes over 20 seconds to boot! how is that an instant on? You can optimize puppy linux to boot faster than that. And I have an XP machine that I customized with nlite and it boots in 17 seconds.

17 seconds is still not 3 or 4 seconds. 3-5 seconds is instant on. It's possible windows CE as crappy as that was, was truly instant on.

And then to add insult to injury you have to pay yearly for the software!?!?! Huh?!
                  Who are the marketing geniuses that thought of that?

This isn't Linux and to have the general public think that this is linux will be bad for Linux.
                  I have my Father in Law using eeebuntu on an eeepc 901. He loves it. The few Windows programs he uses work great with Wine and WineDoors. That is good for Linux, not this crap!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X