Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to achieve fullscreen aspect ratio

I've got the following setup;
    * compaq nx7010, (8:5 ratio builtin LCD)
    * ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL 9000]

I'm runnin Debian unstable with latest Xorg using the open source radeon driver. I've got dual monitors (although mostly just one is in use) set up using randr.

When running some applications in fullscreen, (namely those that change the resolution, often games, does not happen for example in mplayer which scales up) i have some issues
    1. It doesn't scale with fixed aspectratio, and nearly everything uses a 4:3 aspect ratio.

2. Entering such a fullscreen level messes up the randr settings completely. When I exit fullscreen it leaves my screen at the wrong resolution and I have to run xrandr again (not a big deal, mapped to a keyboard button).

I know issue 1 can be solved with options for the LCD panel how to scale non-native resolutions, but as far as i can tell (from checking the BIOS) i have no such options.
    I have not been able to find any information that such scaling would be possible on the graphics card either (using the radeon driver, although this seems to have rather dodgy support even in the catalyst drivers)
    Is there any other way to achieve this?

As for issue 2, how does randr enter the picture when it comes to fullscreen apps? The whole idea with the virtual screen area loses it's meaning when apps change the resolution.

Would it theoretically be possible for randr (even if it requires a new version with such features added) to handle both of these cases properly? Or is the fullscreen apps working outside of randr's control?
Working...
X