No announcement yet.

HD 3850 AGP lockup with OpenGL load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt you will see any significant performance difference between AGP8x and AGP4x. Even 2x won't make that much difference.

And GLXGEARS IS NOT A FREAKIN' BENCHMARK

Seriously, all glxgears does is draw flat-shaded triangles and clear the screen a lot. No textures, no shaders, none of the things that modern GPUs spend their transistor budget on. An old card will usually outrun a new card on that kind of test.
    Last edited by bridgman; 25 January 2009, 12:45 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Well it is a thruput benchmark. Just raw power but nothing special.

Comment

By the way, mine GPU speed is always 324Mhz, although normal speed must be 670Mhz. Can I set GPU speed to 670 manually?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Well it is a thruput benchmark. Just raw power but nothing special.
          Agreed, but "throughput" means different things to different people. Glxgears only really measures ROP performance, and for the last few years the trend has been towards relatively fewer ROPs and relatively more shaders and texture engines. Driver optimizations have also tended towards more code which improves performance with complex workloads at the expense of longer code paths for trivial workloads.

I think we're already at the point where software rendering is faster than low end GPUs when running glxgears. On more complex workloads, of course, it's a different story.

Originally posted by monomakh View Post
          By the way, mine GPU speed is always 324Mhz, although normal speed must be 670Mhz. Can I set GPU speed to 670 manually?
          The chip should switch to full speed automatically when it sees a significant 3D workload. It's possible that glxgears doesn't use enough of the chip to trip the clock switching logic, not sure though. I guess that would be the ultimate insult for a benchmark; when the driver doesn't think it's even worth speeding up the clocks
          Last edited by bridgman; 25 January 2009, 05:47 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

I have the same videocard and the same problem - hangs on 8x agp mode.
            My system is:
            hardware
            CPU:Athlon XP 2200+
            Mainboard:Soltek SL-75FRN3-L on nForce2 chipset
            RAM:768Mb
            Videocard: Sapphire HD 3850 agp
            Powerblock just 300w, but videocard doesn't start with another mine 400w block.

Catalyst 8.12 (8.10 and previous cant to be installed on OpenSuse 11.1. 9.1 beta have the same problem).
            I've got the same card on an Abit nforce2 and it doesn't hang - there are differences, though.

You are 150W short of PSU power and also I've never seriously used my card with kernels > that 2.6.24.7 as I get glitching.

I also don't run gl apps with composite on as that was a bit flakey - glxinfo | grep render should say direct YES

Comment

Composite was off, when I run all my tests. Today I've tried to enable composite and gets some slower FPS but difference is not serious.
              direct rendering is set to YES.
              As I said before, my system don't start with mine 400W PSU and this videocard, and I've back to 300W PSU. Although,maybe I will try to power on videocard to 300W PSU and motherboard and other devices to 400W PSU, but before I want to start some tests and even install Windows. If all will be works at windows - then problem not in PSU.

Comment

Your 400W supply may have more +5 and even less power on the +12 rail; that's not unusual. The board draws most of its power from the +12 rail.

You need to check the per-rail amperage ratings on each P/S and compare that to what the board requires. There's a bit of wiggle room if you have a really basic PC (1 hard disk, no floppy etc..) but not that much.
                Test signature

Comment

I've downloaded and run under wine GL Excess (OpenGL benchmark program).
                  I have the notebook with Quadro NVS 140M (much slower than HD 3850) and the same OS and GL Excess installed.
                  GL Excess can start only in window mode, although no problem with fullmode with Nvidia.
                  Summaries for HD 3850(1st rate) was much better than NVS 140M(2nd rate) for FILL RATE(21553/2829), polygon count(13522/3893),vram tests(4812/2607), only cpu-fpu(1763/3849) tests was failed (it's normal, my CPU is slower than on notebook).
                  Instantly after test, I go to Catalyst Control Center but GPU works just only on 324Mhz.
                  I will try to see how my card is works on windows... ughh... i need to find free space on hdd to install it

Comment

Instantly after test, I go to Catalyst Control Center but GPU works just only on 324Mhz.
                    You'll not see the full rate after the test, you can make a little script like -

Code:
                    while [ 1 ] ; do
                            aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-getclocks
                            aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-gettemperature
                            sleep 3
                    done
                    paste that into an editor save it as, say, poll-card.
                    chmod +x poll-card and run it from an xterm/konsole/whatever
                    ./pollcard > card-out
                    run your bench then <ctrl> c it when you've finished and grep xyz card-out for whatever lines you are interested in.

Comment

aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-getclocks
                      ERROR - Could not find library: libatiadlxx.so

ll /usr/lib/libatiadlxx.so
                      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 164529 Jan 25 20:30 /usr/lib/libatiadlxx.so

By the way, I have installed windows xp sp2. GPU always works at 669Mhz by default, neither 324Mhz. The results of benchmark was really better than at linux (except VRAM test). The most difference was at polygon count and CPU/FRU tests.

Comment

Working...
                      X