• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ooooooOOOOOOooooo I'm excited for you! :P
    Let us know how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      So, my new AMD Phenom II X4 940 system using an AMD 790GX/SB750 motherboard and an AMD Radeon HD 4850 1GB is arriving soon Could have been here already if I didn't do a mistake, well it's coming early next week now
      Now that sounds like a sweet machine

Load it up with as much RAM as it could accept, a kickass video card and some fast disk storage and you'd have a winner!

Comment

Hi,

I'm curious, when testing the Shanghai Opteron CPUs in Linux, did cpufreq work?

Were you able to change the frequency of the cpu's through linux?

Or did the BIOS not support this.

Thanks,

Comment

I don't know about Shanghai, but cpufreq works great with my Phenom II X4 940 and supports all four CnQ modes (3000 MHz, 2300 MHz, 1800 MHz, 800 MHz).

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            I don't know about Shanghai, but cpufreq works great with my Phenom II X4 940 and supports all four CnQ modes (3000 MHz, 2300 MHz, 1800 MHz, 800 MHz).
            Interesting... What motherboard do you have?
            I have a phenom 9500, and it only supports 2 CnQ modes (1100 MHz, 2200 MHz) under Linux, using a Gigabyte 770 AM2+ board.

i had read earlier that cpufreq wasnt working when phoronix reviewed the opteron 2356

The only disturbance we ran into with the Opteron 2356 processors were PowerNow technology not working with Ubuntu 8.04 Beta
            with the Linux 2.6.24 kernel. We suspect, however, that this issue should be addressed in the near future with cpufreq.
            not sure if its because of the bios or linux kernel...
            it'd be great to know before I buy one

Comment

MSI DKA790GX with BIOS v1.6

It isn't even one of the newer boards... it's shipped with 790GX/SB750!

Comment

Originally posted by webdoctors View Post
                Interesting... What motherboard do you have?
                I have a phenom 9500, and it only supports 2 CnQ modes (1100 MHz, 2200 MHz) under Linux, using a Gigabyte 770 AM2+ board.

i had read earlier that cpufreq wasnt working when phoronix reviewed the opteron 2356

not sure if its because of the bios or linux kernel...
                it'd be great to know before I buy one

Your 9500 shows only 2 values because there are actually only two values on the processor. I actually filed a bug report with that on the kernel and after further investigation and confirmation from AMD that the Phenoms only had two values and it was actually the windows C'n'Q driver that was misreporting the additional values.

Comment

per core dynamic frequency voltage scaling on AMD Shanghai

Hello,

does anyone know whether it is possible to perform DVFS on a per-core basis? That would mean that it is possible to set one core at frequency F1 and another core (in the same chip) at frequency F2 (F1!=F2).

Have you performed any test like this one? For example the command 'cpufreq-info' can provide that information.

Thank you for any information you can provide us on this.

Best Regards,
                  Victor

Comment

Originally posted by webdoctors View Post
                    Hi,

I'm curious, when testing the Shanghai Opteron CPUs in Linux, did cpufreq work?

Were you able to change the frequency of the cpu's through linux?

Or did the BIOS not support this.

Thanks,
                    I have a SuperMicro H8DME-2 with two Shanghai Opterons on it. I'm running Fedora 10. CPUfreq just works by default, I didn't have to do anything. At idle it runs 800 MHz. The steps are: 800 MHz, 1.3 GHz, 1.8 GHz, 2.5 GHz.

Comment

AMD Shanghai Opteron CPUs On Linux

I seem to have difficulty finding reviews relating to the AMD Dual Core Opteron 185. I believe its the last Socket 939 upgrade. The only thing I know about this cpu is from people from other forums saying how good it was. Any suggestions and comments as to where I can read a review about it, or you may have your own opinion or experience of it? How long has this cpu been around?

Comment

Working...
                      X