Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain why 8.12 still does not work under Ubuntu Intrepid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Porter

fglrx has no support for EXA, so it always runs XAA. The "AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual xx" warnings always happen (for me anyhow) and don't mean that anything is broken. Also, AIGLX always shuts down when you switch to a text terminal.

Edit: oops, sorry about that, didn't read your post clearly the first time. My best guess is that your monitor is not being detected correctly. What is your monitor's supported resolution/refresh rate?

Edit 2:
    ...and I answered my own question. I did some research on your monitor (found it in the Xorg log) and found out that it has a flawed EDID chip (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889234025). This means that you will have to override the driver and set a manual modeline in xorg.conf, because your monitor isn't feeding the correct data on supported modes to your video card.
    Last edited by TechMage89; 08 January 2009, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
      Edit 2:
      ...and I answered my own question. I did some research on your monitor (found it in the Xorg log) and found out that it has a flawed EDID chip (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889234025). This means that you will have to override the driver and set a manual modeline in xorg.conf, because your monitor isn't feeding the correct data on supported modes to your video card.
      Mine is one of the later versions, it does 1080p perfectly. No EDID flaw on mine. The issue with the earlier builds was an improper EDID flash, it was actually the firmware from an entirely different model of monitor. The units that had the firmware problem were fixed with a flash upgrade.

Just to be clear... my monitor displays perfect 1080p using the radeon driver on this system, it's just fglrx that has a problem. It also works perfectly in 1080p when attached to a Blu-Ray player as well. You can take a look at the EDID log in my Xorg.0.log if you are curious.
      Last edited by Porter; 08 January 2009, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Porter View Post
        Mine is one of the later versions, it does 1080p perfectly. No EDID flaw on mine. The issue with the earlier builds was an improper EDID flash, it was actually the firmware from an entirely different model of monitor. The units that had the firmware problem were fixed with a flash upgrade.

Just to be clear... my monitor displays perfect 1080p using the radeon driver on this system, it's just fglrx that has a problem. It also works perfectly in 1080p when attached to a Blu-Ray player as well. You can take a look at the EDID log in my Xorg.0.log if you are curious.
        Did you ever get this answered/resolved? I have the same issue trying to install 8.12 on Debian lenny.

Comment

Originally posted by nbi1 View Post
          Did you ever get this answered/resolved? I have the same issue trying to install 8.12 on Debian lenny.
          No, I didn't. I've had to switch to the radeon driver to get a working display. I even submitted a support request directly to ATI on this issue, with no response.

Everyone seems to be scratching their heads on this, with no real information so far. I suspect that none of the developers have experienced this particular problem, or it would have been sorted out by now.

Comment

8.12 doesn't exactly work great for me either (780G, ATI 3200) using the ati Intrepid/8.10 packager. GDM comes up distored, but I can still log in. When I log in, there is no mouse cursor (but links and such highlight when the phantom cursor hovers) and there is an annoying 2"x2" black square at the bottom corner.

Default restricted drivers work similarly but with more distortion.

Also, VT switching is impossible. When I try, the screen just slow blinks various colors.

Comment

I eventually did get it working although that was mostly due to sheer luck. Here's the choronology of events upon the install of Intrepid (just the distro):

1. Immediately upon install I tried the official ATI. It didn't work.
              2. Then I switched to radeonhd. It works, but poorly.
              3. Being disgusted with that I spent time getting the stock Intrepid fglrx packages installed and working. I eventually succeeded with that, but the performance was lackluster.

It now occured to me that since the stock Intrepid fglrx was working getting the official 8.12 working shouldn't be that far of a stretch. My reasoning was that if the environment looked good in terms of libraries and softlinks then the 8.12 fglrx might just be happy. And it was. Not great, but definitely a big improvement over everything that preceded it. All types of screen updates are much faster and video playback is nearly free from artifacts (still see an occasional "tear" in a video frame which is not seen under Windows playback).

My theory is that something got hosed up in the initial install attempt and switching between the open and propietary drivers didn't help the situation (IMHO the install scripts should be robust enough to gracefully handle this though). Once I got the stock Intrepid fglrx installed the system was apparently primed for installation of 8.12.

The big stinker at this point is still the inability to use fglrx with a newer kernel under Intrepid. DKMS doesn't seem to be successful at rebuilding the driver and I need to find out why (if I can ).

Comment

Unfortunately, even the standard Intrepid package of fglrx from Canonical results in no display output. X fails to start with either an empty xorg.conf or an aticonfig-generated one. It's a real bummer.

Comment

Is this off a fresh install or only after installing other drivers first ?
                  Test signature

Comment

Same problem

Hey, I'm having the same problem. I'm running debian (a fresh install) on a [gigabyte] motherboard with the 780G chipset.

There was a thread that mentioned increasing the amount of memory allocated to the graphics - I tried that, but it didn't help. I have to blindly go to a terminal (CTRL-ALT-F2) log in as root, apt-get remove fglrx-driver, and reboot before I can use my computer again.

Can you check /var/log/messages for anything suspicious?

Comment

Originally posted by xemc View Post
                      Hey, I'm having the same problem. I'm running debian (a fresh install) on a [gigabyte] motherboard with the 780G chipset.
                      Sorry - I should add that there were some newer fglrx drivers available in debian/lenny that I upgraded to, and that's when it stopped working. (Gives the same result as using Ati's installer)

Comment

Working...
                      X