Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future of Compiz In Question

Phoronix: The Future of Compiz In Question

Rather than announcing a road-map for 2009 or sharing all of the accomplishments this year that were made within the Compiz development community, Kristian Lyngstol has shared some grave concerns for this project that brought "desktop bling" to Linux. Kristian has outlined a few areas that that he believes need to be addressed otherwise it could mean the death of Compiz...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe the thing Compiz needs is a quality standard for merging code, like that for the Linux kernel. If the code is not documented, looks ugly, changes too many things at once, etc, then reject it. This has worked well for the Kernel.

Comment

Compiz only need to disappear

Compiz was a great experiment about desktop effects, but it has never been stable, well integrated in desktops, especially for KDE or easy to configure. However, the benefits of its existence was to show that the Linux desktop could do what others (Windwos and even MacOS X) couldn't. Futhermore, thanks to Compiz, graphics drivers have much improved in compositing support.
      Now it's time to retire and invest in other projects like KWin which is (especially in KDE 4.2) all the same powerful, stable, fast, easy to configure and very well integrated in the desktop (link with energy profiles for example). And also, it works without compositing enabled or with 2D acceleration.
      Farewell Compiz !
      Last edited by makosol; 31 December 2008, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I think that compiz has no future. Compiz had to be just a demo of how can linux desktop look like, now it's on windows managers to do this job. There is no more need of Compiz anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Maybe the thing Compiz needs is a quality standard for merging code, like that for the Linux kernel. If the code is not documented, looks ugly, changes too many things at once, etc, then reject it. This has worked well for the Kernel.
          If you want things done like in the Linux kernel then Compiz++ is out of the question ;-)
          gmane.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gmane.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Originally posted by Schmaker View Post
            I think that compiz has no future. Compiz had to be just a demo of how can linux desktop look like, now it's on windows managers to do this job. There is no more need of Compiz anymore.
            Right, its on window managers to do the job, but now many are doing it? Just 1, KDE. I don't see Gnome or XFce doing it...so I'll still use Compiz as I am an xfce user.

Comment

I'm not a big fan/user of desktop effects, but I know it draws many users to Linux and has forced improvement in the major video drivers. I wonder how much of Compiz's stagnation is because of frustration with the X.org model. Perhaps devs see it as a "dead end" to keep working on Compiz until a more flexible X server (i.e. Wayland) is in place.

Comment

Originally posted by eric.frederich View Post
                Right, its on window managers to do the job, but now many are doing it? Just 1, KDE. I don't see Gnome or XFce doing it...so I'll still use Compiz as I am an xfce user.
                xfwm already has a composition manager. Metacity is the only one out, but I think there are plans for one in the future. And yes, I also think that ultimately Compiz will give way to the default window managers as they start to integrate composition effects on their own. I just don't see anything Compiz can offer that can't be done on any of the traditional window managers.

Comment

I use compiz-fusion all the time, so I rather don't see the project die

Comment

It seems like there is no empathy for Compiz plight what so ever.. wow.. well I for one enjoy using it and would rather it take a stable direction then just leave it in the wind. It makes using Linux fun or isn't that allowed? After reading the Compiz C++ thread from its developer it seems like the way to go. Saying other window managers can do it (if they even want to) isn't very reassuring. I've converted 5 friends to Linux and I can attest Compiz helped alot. If for only that reason it should be at least be maintained until a true replacement is developed.

Comment

Working...
                    X