Drawing Open-Source Triangles On The ATI RV770

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
    Is it supposed to work on RS780 chips, yet?
    Frankly said, nobody tested it on notebook chips so far. The DRM at least has microcode for RS780, I just verified.

You can try to run r600_demo, but you will have to add your pci ID in r600_demo.c - it's easy to spot where. I assume an RS780 is closest to an RV610 or so. Technically, it comes after an RV635, but it probably doesn't have vertex caches, like an RV610.

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
    And are bug reports welcome already or do they make no sense in this early state? And where to file the bug reports?
    Basically, bug reports are always welcome
    Currently there is no list for r600_demo, there probably will never be one. Best chances are on dri-devel, or on the radeonhd list.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
      i just hope triangles don't get patented, ever :]
      LOL, sounds like something Rambus or Creative would do if they were in the graphics biz. DEATH TO PATENT TROLLS.

Comment

Before coming to ATI I was actually visited by a team of lawyers demanding royalty payments for the use of "their IP", which was XOR-ing a cursor image onto the screen. At the time I ran a small company designing & building graphics cards and accelerators for other companies selling Mac upgrades.

We told them to get lost and never heard from them again, but I never liked software patents after that experience.
        Last edited by bridgman; 02 January 2009, 02:22 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by mshopf View Post
          Frankly said, nobody tested it on notebook chips so far. The DRM at least has microcode for RS780, I just verified.

You can try to run r600_demo, but you will have to add your pci ID in r600_demo.c - it's easy to spot where. I assume an RS780 is closest to an RV610 or so. Technically, it comes after an RV635, but it probably doesn't have vertex caches, like an RV610.
          Currently there is no list for r600_demo, there probably will never be one. Best chances are on dri-devel, or on the radeonhd list.
          Hello, thanks for the answer.
          I added the pci ID of my card, now it is not an untested chip anymore, but it still does not work.
          I installed the R600/700 branches of radeonhd and drm and there are not errors in the xorg.0.log, drm seems to load successful. I assume that there is something with the DRM not ready for my card yet. Also the xserver freezes within 2-20 seconds if I start x with exa enabled. I can move the mouse then, but nothing else. I think DRM is not ready for my device, yet.

Here is the Xorg.0.log of the try to log in with exa enabled: http://pastebin.ca/1297086

...and the try with r600_demo:

Thanks for your hard work! I'm looking forward to paint my personal triangle

Comment

I'm a git n00b. How does one get the r6xx-r7xx-support branch? I have a spare distro and I'd like to play around with it. I tried
            git checkout -b r6xx-r7xx-support
            but I don't see any r6xx source files.

Comment

You don't typically use checkout with git to get the source. What you ususally want to do is clone the branch. Are you trying to get the radeonhd branch?

Comment

NVM: I figured it out. I needed to create a local tracking branch, switch to it, and then fetch and pull.

Thanks again.
                Last edited by DanL; 02 January 2009, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Uh... I can't remember how to extract a branch from the trunk, so I would recommend just cloning the branch.
                  Oh, OK. Hope you can help with the driver!
                  Last edited by TechMage89; 02 January 2009, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
                    Uh... I can't remember how to extract a branch from the trunk, so I would recommend just cloning the branch.
                    It wasn't immediately clear to me how to clone a remote (and non-master) branch. If I did this wrong, please share the correct way. Here's what I did:
                    Code:
                    git checkout -b <CHOOSE_A_NAME_FOR_LOCAL_BRANCH> origin/r6xx-r7xx-support
                    git fetch
                    git pull
                    I then noted that the r600 files were now in the src directory and proceeded to build as usual. (autogen.sh, make, make install).

I added options for DRI and EXA into my xorg.conf. I rebooted and the X server wouldn't start. Here's the log:
                    Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty), which has a 2.6.28 kernel, Mesa from a git snapshot on 12/09, and Xserver 1.5.99.3.

Comment

The new code seems to crash if DRI is not available -- either because the "DRI" option is not enabled in the xorg conf, or because the proper drm module was not available.

In your case you had <Option "DRI"> in the conf properly but drm did not open -- did you build and install the drm kernel module from the 6xx-7xx branch of mesa/drm ?
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X