Improper use of the word 'had' in articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
    I think that we could agree on a simple fact: the writer of articles published for profit should be held to a higher standard than the lowly forum member.
    Publish for profit? Seriously, Michael isn't in this for the money. On a good month he would break even. If you think you reap in cash from flash ads your sorely mistaken. Michael goes through a lot of hard work maintaining this site not to mention being a major supporter of various other projects. He's basically a one man show.

We have all found issues ranging from grammar to spelling to other errors in the articles. To err is human. With the pace of that Michael keeps up with current news it's amazing that there are not more mistakes. The forum is a place for feedback and features you would like to see but taken in context it's referring to the content and not the minor grammatical errors that seem to bother you so much. You even make a point of comparing them to the ads in their "annoyance" factor.

Go back and read your last paragraph in your first post and tell me it does not come across as a bashing of the site. Your annoyance only had to be noted once throughout the entire post, it went from starting off as constructive criticism to degrading into a plain old bitch session.

BTW you have another spelling mistake in that as well. The word is ads, one d not two.
    Last edited by deanjo; 31 December 2008, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Publish for profit? Seriously, Michael isn't in this for the money. On a good month he would break even. If you think you reap in cash from flash ads your sorely mistaken. Michael goes through a lot of hard work maintaining this site not to mention being a major supporter of various other projects. He's basically a one man show.
      I'm not challenging the nobility of the cause.

We have all found issues ranging from grammar to spelling to other errors in the articles. To err is human. With the pace of that Michael keeps up with current news it's amazing that there are not more mistakes.
      I didn't report each minor error.

I reported one that has been repeated as long as I can remember reading the articles. Even again in the latest article:
      We had run the latest development code ...
      We ran. Please!

Go back and read your last paragraph in your first post and tell me it does not come across as a bashing of the site. Your annoyance only had to be noted once throughout the entire post, it went from starting off as constructive criticism to degrading into a plain old bitch session.
      I read one sentence that could be considered negative.

I hope no feelings were hurt.

BTW you have another spelling mistake in that as well. The word is ads, one d not two.
      A simple typo.

If I make the mistake continuously, please let me know. I'll appreciate it.

Otherwise, attempting to find errors in previous posts to belittle me only makes you a pest.

Comment

But you could had emailed him the corrections.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          But you could had emailed him the corrections.
          hehe. I bet this was an honest typo, but in the context, it's golden.

Seriously though, I've addressed this. See my last post on the first page for a response.

Comment

(Yes, annoying beyond all the flashing adds, self referencing links, terrible bar graphs and multi-page articles.)
            I hate multi-page articles. And so does Wind Li.

Also, internal links should be a different colour than external one, ala wikipedia. That'd help alot.

Comment

Originally posted by wiscados View Post
              I hate multi-page articles. And so does Wind Li.

Also, internal links should be a different colour than external one, ala wikipedia. That'd help alot.
              The links I agree with, but as for the multipage articles you can always choose the premium option. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjgyNQ

Comment

The links I agree with, but as for the multipage articles you can always choose the premium option. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjgyNQ
                Which is one of the reasons why I said the articles are posted for profit...

Comment

Which is one of the reasons why I said the articles are posted for profit...
                  You might want to look at what profit means.

Profit -The positive gain from an investment or business operation after subtracting all expenses.

Micheal is trying to make the site self supporting which is by definition non-profit.

Non-profit - Operated as nearly as possible at cost; an organization not seeking profit and which does not disgorge excess income to its members, in the form of dividends or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88
                    Reading some of your articles, I've noticed that you use the word had in many places where it's either clumsy or flat out wrong.
                    Noticed it to, never minded it like most people reading good articles.

I think of it as a signature that most people leave in their text (or code for the programmers here).

Originally posted by mattst88
                    You are right about one thing though. I should have used the private messaging system for this. With a bit of foresight, I would have realized that constructive criticism would degrade into this.
                    Foresight eh? what you need is insight.

Comment

Interesting thread.
                      I would personally like to see some of the grammar and spelling improved - that's a general statement about any article on the Internet, and hence also applies here. I don't mean immediately of course, but it doesn't take that much effort for gradual improvements, and it would add to the overall quality of any article.
                      Nobody's perfect. People posting here will make mistakes (myself included). It would be nice however, to see this thread turn into a discussion about how to improve the quality of the language in the articles rather than bashing each other.

As a side note: an ass is a donkey. So is an asshole a hole filled with donkeys?

Comment

Working...
                      X