Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Linux Innovations Of 2008

Phoronix: Great Linux Innovations Of 2008

Last year we had looked at The Greatest Linux Innovations Of 2007, and as this year ends, we have compiled a similar list of what we believe were some of the greatest Linux innovations or achievements of 2008. Among the innovations named this year were KDE 4, NetworkManager 0.7, new hardware companies standing behind open-source support, and the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

NetworkManager 0.7 oooh!

Haha, NetworkManager 0.7.. yeah, it's so good that you can't actually set static IP addresses on ethernet cards!

Comment

MPX I'd say.

Someone pointed out that Apple should cash in on this by making a special device for this (I don't remember where now), but I don't have doubts that they'll miss out on this.

Comment

I guess openoffice and firefox are cross platform (but so is the gimp), so maybe that's why they're not mentioned
        but both have been greatly improved (this year especially)
        Last edited by SyXbiT; 30 December 2008, 01:50 PM.

Comment

KDE4 for me. But not as something that is finished, but as something that is on fire now.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
            MPX I'd say.

Someone pointed out that Apple should cash in on this by making a special device for this (I don't remember where now), but I don't have doubts that they'll miss out on this.
            But it's not really in a released version at this point and while it's in master won't even be in X Server 1.6.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

KDE 4 for me. No, I don't use it, but want to

Comment

NetworkManager - innovation?

"NetworkManager 0.7 brings to desktop users PPP integration so that SM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HDSPA/HSUPA/EVDO cellular cards now work "out of the box" on Linux, support for having multiple simultaneous network devices, enhanced wireless security support, system-wide configuration support with boot-time connection capabilities, Internet connection sharing support, and full static IP support."

So, that would be...all features that drakconnect / net-applet (Mandriva's tools) had in 2005? How is that innovation, then?

Comment

VDPAU for me

Because I was *this* close to just giving up waiting for Linux to get any kind of HW acceleration and install a Windows HTPC. And because it gives us a little more we can harass AMD about getting open source support for. Right now I'm looking very closely at nVidia for an early 2009 HTPC, and if all goes well with the AMD open source drivers then presumably a R8xx based AMD card in late 2009 as I'm not in the market for a new card right now. That said, I'm always open for more surprises...

Comment

Originally posted by jackflap View Post
                    Haha, NetworkManager 0.7.. yeah, it's so good that you can't actually set static IP addresses on ethernet cards!

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-set...epid-ibex.html
                    I've got no problems with setting static IP address on my ethernet card with Fedora 10 using NM 0.7 . Maybe you have to blame Ubuntu as the first sentence of that HOW TO says "There seems to be a known bug with the Gnome Network Manager included with the Ubuntu 8.10"

BTW. The greatest achievement for me is support for open-source drivers, especially from AMD/ATI.

Comment

Working...
                    X