Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing test profile

Hi,Could someone help me?
    May I use phoronix test suite to test my software such as Firefox?
    Besides writing XML file,install.sh,downloads.xml,should I upload some stuff? Or how to write the downloads.xml.
    Thanks!

Hi cecily,

Well, what with Firefox are you interested in testing? If you can be a bit more specific with your details in what you would like to test, it would be easier to explain how to write a test profile around it.

Aside from that, check out the included documentation or what others seem to have found most helpful is just looking at the other existing test profiles to see how PTS operates.

If you would like to push the created test profiles upstream, create a new thread here in the forums or send them on the mailing list either as a diff or attachment.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thank you ,Michael,

The test is that if I use Firefox to load 100 web pages,how long will it take,could phoronix-test-suite be used to let me know the time or the CPU performance?

Comment

Well, all of that would take place within an install.sh file that would write out the script to run the Firefox testing.

The way that comes to mind for facilitating that would be to first launch firefox and use & so it's a background process. Prior to that though ensure the Firefox setting is there to open new links in a new tab instead of new window. Then just do a simple for-loop of 100 times specifying some local web page to load or something. When the loop finishes, kill the original firefox process. I think that way should work.

By adding $TIMER_START before the loop and $TIMER_STOP afterwards, it will use the microtimer to see how long it takes. Check out say the espeak test profile code to see about doing this. Right now CPU usage monitoring within a test profile would be a bit tough, but there is CPU usage monitoring support in the system_monitor module, I just need to create a framework to expose modules and their functions to test profiles. For now just use time but I'll hopefully have a framework in place soon.

If you write a script that can do what is mentioned in the first paragraph, let me know and I can help you write a test profile for that if you still have problems.

Michael
        Michael Larabel

Comment

Thank you so much,Michael.

But I still have some problems, what about the dowmloads.xml? It seems the downloads.xml is not needed,is it?

Take espeak for example,the install.sh and downloads.xml are in /phoronix test suite/pts/test-resources/espeak, so should I save my test profile here or in ~/.phoronix-test-suite/test-resources/?

Thanks again

Cecily

Comment

Hi,Michael,Could I trouble you to write this test profile? I would be very appreciated that.

My email is [email protected],Thanks!

cecily

Comment

Originally posted by cecily View Post
              Take espeak for example,the install.sh and downloads.xml are in /phoronix test suite/pts/test-resources/espeak, so should I save my test profile here or in ~/.phoronix-test-suite/test-resources/?
              The downloads.xml file isn't needed if you're not downloading any files.

You should save the install.sh file to ~/.phoronix-test-suite/test-resources/ and your XML profile to ~/.phoronix-test-suite/test-profiles/
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by cecily View Post
                Hi,Michael,Could I trouble you to write this test profile? I would be very appreciated that.

My email is [email protected],Thanks!

cecily

Do you have a script that just does the Firefox running like what I mentioned in the previous post? Something that would just be executed from the terminal and doesn't have to touch PTS. If you do I can easily then convert that into a test profile and make sure everything with it is running right.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Sorry,Michael, I'm just a new tester,I'm afraid that I couldn't get the script.
                  Well,thanks for helping me so much,I have got a much better understanding for PTS.

Comment

Working...
                  X