Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases Open-Source R600/700 3D Code

Phoronix: AMD Releases Open-Source R600/700 3D Code

Since earlier this year we have been waiting for AMD to release documentation and/or code on the ATI R600 series concerning 3D acceleration so that the open-source Linux drivers can begin to support the newer ATI graphics processors. It has taken longer than expected for AMD to complete and release this information, but it's now available. AMD has released the fundamental Linux code needed to begin fostering the development of an open-source R600 3D driver. Furthermore, this code also concerns the latest R700 series of graphics processors! The microcode for the newest GPUs has also been released.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, THAT's a late christmas present!
    Thx to everyone involved in this!

Comment

I just don't get why radeonhd will get it faster than radeon when agd5f works for ATI and on the radeon driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        I just don't get why radeonhd will get it faster than radeon when agd5f works for ATI and on the radeon driver?
        Alex has been working on acceleration code in radeonhd for quite a while. We are trying to keep the acceleration code relatively common between the two drivers anyways.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          ...We are trying to keep the acceleration code relatively common between the two drivers anyways.
          Well that leads to the question about the reason for two drivers() but don't listen to me, that has been discussed several times here let's not do it again.

Comment

Aaaaaah now that's some awesome news ... thank you very much to everyone involved !

/me hoping to soon be able to drop those barely working, crashy buggy proprietary drivers :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              I'm glad they did, this way at least I can enjoy both perfect HDMI audio AND 3D!

Where do I send the champagne?
              Last edited by StefanHamminga; 29 December 2008, 06:13 PM.

Comment

let's see... Nuremberg is closest to you, send the champagne to SuSE
                Test signature

Comment

All I need now is...

A Radeon 4670 with an AGP connector...

Comment

Don't do it man... get a PCIE motherboard. Seriously. Please don't make us support AGP again.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X