Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get the Linux version of my games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    That's got to stink.
    Nah, not really, just a fact of life.

Well it is worth it Africa is a beautiful place. Have you even seen Farcry 2? They got the bushveldt pretty good, except the foilage is much more sparse, and largish trees tend to only ever grow on the egde of a river/stream.
    LOL, when I went to Brazil last year, I was disgusted at how wet it was :P

Jokes aside, I have to say Svartalf, that thread of yours about the ports, explaining how the game industry actually works, well, THAT did probably more good to the Linux gaming industry than a whole lot of advertising could ever do.

Us Linux users tend to be the more rational(cynical?) types, so we need to understand the issue. Hype, as in most advertising, doesn't do good.

I wonder if an "awareness campaign" would do any good?

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      As it stands, the partially cleaned-up, tweaked up, version of Soul Ride I've been tinkering with for various reasons is marginally playable on my eeePC. This is at least partly due to the fact that the Intel drivers are still rather sub-optimal, even for Intel's standards, on Linux and will be for a bit yet to come, beings that we lack a few things to make them more usable in this context.

Having said this, while there's a potential market there, it's going to need some serious clean-up/tuning on the driver front as well as whatever titles you try to run up the flagpole in that space. One can manage games on these machines- just can't do some of the stuff I've alluded to earlier in this conversation.
      I read about nVIDIA's Ion platform. I think that problem is going to get solved pretty soon though not immediately I think. As more netbooks become stronger, I think it'll get pretty difficult to ignore Linux as long as those netbooks come with Linux pre-installed.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
        I read about nVIDIA's Ion platform. I think that problem is going to get solved pretty soon though not immediately I think. As more netbooks become stronger, I think it'll get pretty difficult to ignore Linux as long as those netbooks come with Linux pre-installed.

Netbook numbers are pretty misleading. MSI for example say that linux based netbooks suffer from 4x the return rate, plus there are many that buy the cheaper linux netbook and install windows on it. Plus there will be Windows 7 soon that is supposed to be optimized for netbook use coming soon.
        Last edited by deanjo; 03 January 2009, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Sorry but whoever buys a cheap netbook to install Windows on it deserves a face-smack. In this scenario alone the Windows copy costs 3 times as much as the entire netbook... That's like selling a ferrari for 10k buckets... utmost STUPID!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
            Sorry but whoever buys a cheap netbook to install Windows on it deserves a face-smack. In this scenario alone the Windows copy costs 3 times as much as the entire netbook... That's like selling a ferrari for 10k buckets... utmost STUPID!
            3 times as much is exaggerating. OEM copies of XP can be had for ~$75 (even cheaper as a student), many people pirate or use a license from an old system.
            Last edited by deanjo; 03 January 2009, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X