ati 9000pro tv-out without monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ati 9000pro tv-out without monitor

Hi I'm new here, i love this site and i follow it daily.

I've setted up a media center pc, the problem is that this pc have an old sapphire ati 9000pro that works only with open souce driver.
    with this driver i can see the tvout only when a monitor is connected, otherwise if i leave only the tv attacched by s-video cable i can see the bios bootup, the ubuntu 8.10 loading and when gdm start the screen is disabled (on my tv, jvc 32" crt is blue)

there is any possibility to configure the system to "force" the tvout?
    I've tried many xorg configuration an parameter but nothing...

the only way to see only television is to use the ubuntu low graphic mode, without video acceleration...

Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
    Hi I'm new here, i love this site and i follow it daily.

I've setted up a media center pc, the problem is that this pc have an old sapphire ati 9000pro that works only with open souce driver.
    with this driver i can see the tvout only when a monitor is connected, otherwise if i leave only the tv attacched by s-video cable i can see the bios bootup, the ubuntu 8.10 loading and when gdm start the screen is disabled (on my tv, jvc 32" crt is blue)

there is any possibility to configure the system to "force" the tvout?
    I've tried many xorg configuration an parameter but nothing...

the only way to see only television is to use the ubuntu low graphic mode, without video acceleration...
    See the radeon man page. Add the following options to the device section of your config:

Option "ForceTVOut" "TRUE"
    Option "TVStandard" "ntsc" # or pal

Comment

tanks, it work!

there is any GUI to move she visible area in the four direction?

Comment

tanks, it work!

there is any GUI to move she visible area in the four direction?
        There are output properties if you want to use the xrandr cli; I'm not sure about GUIs.

Comment

you mean a command like this?
          xrandr --output VGA --auto --right-of LVDS.

and how i can find the correct value?
          amd catalyst control center with 4 directional arrows is more confortable imho

Comment

agd5f, what properties?

Comment

agd5f, what properties?
              the output properties. run:
              xrandr --verbose

and looks at the properties listed after the S-video connector:
              tv_horizontal_size
              tv_horizontal_position
              tv_vertical_position
              tv_standard
              etc.

e.g.:
              xrandr --output S-video --set tv_horizontal_position 3

Comment

thanks agd5f!
                it work, but i have 2 questions:

first: when I reboot the changes aren't applied.
                second: the range is -5 , 5 good, but not perfect, perfect with my tv will be awesome someting like 6 or 7...

about the first, maybe I should add someting to my monitor section (or display? what the difference)?
                but I didn't find anywhig on the web...

and about the second, maybe with xserver 1.6 the range is different?

thanks again.

Comment

thanks agd5f!
                  it work, but i have 2 questions:

first: when I reboot the changes aren't applied.
                  second: the range is -5 , 5 good, but not perfect, perfect with my tv will be awesome someting like 6 or 7...

about the first, maybe I should add someting to my monitor section (or display? what the difference)?
                  but I didn't find anywhig on the web...

and about the second, maybe with xserver 1.6 the range is different?

thanks again.
                  To have the changes applied everytime, you'll need to add the xrandr commands to your xinitrc have your DE run them automatically when you log in. They could be exposed as driver options, but they are not at the moment.

As to the range, it's specific to the driver, nothing to do with the xserver. -5 to 5 was a reasonable range that worked well for all cards I have. Increasing the range caused problems with a lot of cards. You could hack the driver to see if it works for you, but I think other parts of the tv setup need to be adjusted if you extent it further.

Comment

ok created ane executables aviable via gnome-sessions.
                    some flickr but work.

anyway now I have a good view, if is possible to make that range for 6 or 7 without any issue good, if not, don't care.

another question, the resolution of the output, will be enlarged in future? for now I have only 800x600.

Will I put some 16:9 resolution in the future?

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X