Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSuSE 11.1 Released

Phoronix: OpenSuSE 11.1 Released

Just in time for Christmas, Novell has announced the availability of OpenSuSE 11.1. OpenSuSE 11.1 is updated against the latest Linux packages including KDE 4.1, GNOME 2.24, OpenOffice.org 3.0, the Linux 2.6.27 kernel, and various other updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congratulations to them!

I was surprised to see however "next version of the world's most usable Linux" on the website - after seeing their gimped "start bar". Maybe they fixed it back in 11.1... going to give a try.

Comment

I just wondering how it works with video out-of-the-box.
      Couldn't find any info on used drivers, in the news release.

Comment

I'm wondering if they still support ppc, I have a G3 mac sitting on my nightstand with a messed up boot loader. I'd like to get it up and running again so I can browse the web in bed.

My girlfriend would definitely facepalm at this. =]

Comment

Originally posted by BlueKoala View Post
          I'm wondering if they still support ppc, I have a G3 mac sitting on my nightstand with a messed up boot loader. I'd like to get it up and running again so I can browse the web in bed.

My girlfriend would definitely facepalm at this. =]

Link to PowerPC installation dvd's iso image torrent file.

Comment

i'm installing it on my netbook as i read this.

Comment

Official Release Announcement can be found here:

The openSUSE Project is proud to announce the release of openSUSE 11.1. The openSUSE 11.1 release includes more than 230 new features, improvements to YaST, ...

Comment

Great news! openSUSE is one of the best GNU/Linux based operation systems, thus it is the best OS!

Comment

Currently switching from Factory to 11.1.
                  So far it seems like it mostly just fixed bugs introduced in 11, and upgraded all of the apps.

One problem is setting the hostname, I had to switch to ifup, change, and switch it back to NetworkManager, but it still make a second hostname(?), back on ifup(don't need NetworkManager on the computer)

For me it boots faster(might be attributed to getting a phenom x4), but it also seems to start less things on boot.

Comment

I just tried out KDE 4 on OpenSuse 11.1 and it made me cry. I was disappointed by openSUSE's choice to jump onto the Ubuntu ease-of-use bandwagon. All the options that I came to know and love in KDE 3.5 are now gone with 4. While Linux should be easy for new users, making it more difficult and dumbed down for experienced users isn't the answer. I know you can still install 3.5 atm but that will not be the case in the next release.

This is more of a gripe at KDE4 but Opensuse is pushing it as its new standard. Thats my 2 cents....

Comment

Working...
                    X