Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catalyst 9.1 with "Composite & Video Support" leaked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone comment on whether switching users in gnome will freeze this release of fglrx?

Comment

Tried this with my ATI Xpress 1100 and a 720p anime episode from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.
      It didn't flicker like usual with other releases, but SMPlayer's controls were messed up, the video playback was way too slow, and X server crashed after 10 seconds
      Also trying to play anything on Wine would hang up the PC completely. Not sure if it's this release only though, since I havent tried wine with fglrx for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
        then complain to firefox and gtk. Firefox (and gtk) is simply slow. Everywhere.
        Are you joking?
        Have you ever enabled compositing on a nvidia card?

Comment

yes, and firefox slowed down to a crawl. Like a snail in a salt mine

Comment

Agreed, Firefox on my nvidia card is almost unusable. I'm not sure if its hardware or a Fedora thing (I use Ubuntu and Gentoo on my other boxes), but running 3.1 nightly builds with tracemonkey enabled and "smooth scrolling" disabled made it usable, but scrolling on Twitter, etc is still painful.

I have an older nvidia card (forget the model) in my workstation, and Firefox has been alright, but not great, with binary drivers in both Ubuntu and Gentoo. Never had a problem on my main desktop with a Radeon HD 4850 (with any driver).

Edit: All of the above applies with and without compositing, except with the open source drivers on the ATI card where compositing obviously isn't an option.

Comment

Originally posted by plastikman View Post
              The 9.1 beta seems good to me...

Compiz-fusion works great on my x700 Mobility resizing windows and watching videos seems to work like a charm. Firefox scrolling is still slow but that is to be expected.

Running FC10 here
              Did you still have to downgrade libdrm and modify the initrd, or has that been fixed?

Comment

I didnt have to do anything other than what i posted here http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=17

Comment

Btw, what happened to 9.0?

Comment

The Catalyst release numbers are year.month. Yes, that does mean the first release of the year should be 9.01, not 9.1
                    Test signature

Comment

I expect something bad to happen with 9.11.

Comment

Working...
                      X