Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 180.16 Beta Linux Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA 180.16 Beta Linux Driver

It was just eleven days ago that NVIDIA had released the 180.11 Beta Linux Driver, but in the wee hours of Saturday morning NVIDIA has pushed out a new beta driver. This driver contains a few fixes, support for new GPUs, and an updated implementation of the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And as usual the performance on the NVS 135M is abysmal with KDE. When will they finally to decide to fix it? I have bought this card, i want working drivers. KDE has been out for almost a year. That is a lack of respect toward their customers.

Comment

*portion of customers

Comment

I wish they'd first concentrate on fixing powermizer, or at least giving us a clear way to disable it.

Comment

I was wondering which of the Nvidia GeForce mGPUs and nForce MCPs are now fully supported (i.e. on all of the north/south bridge functions handled by these chipsets, including video and audio) in Linux.

In particular, if one buys a motherboard with one of these IGP chipsets:
          A. GeForce 8200 mGPU
          B. GeForce 8300 mGPU
          C. 750a SLI
          how much mileage vs hassle should/could be expected for getting the mobo to work well?
          Last edited by matt8; 13 December 2008, 03:08 PM.

Comment

VDPAU

I have a Quadro 570m in my laptop. I've heard these are based on the 8xxx series. Is VDPAU supported on my card?

Thanks

Comment

@matt8:

I got an ASUS M3N78-VM (GeForce 8200) a couple of days ago and it's been working great with nVidia's 177.82 driver. The only real problem I've come across is getting the sound card to properly initialize after boot. Normally all I need to do is unload and then reload the kernel module for sound (snd-hda-intel), so it's not much of a hassle. Other than that, it works just fine =)

Comment

Originally posted by matt8 View Post
                I was wondering which of the Nvidia GeForce mGPUs and nForce MCPs are now fully supported (i.e. on all of the north/south bridge functions handled by these chipsets, including video and audio) in Linux.

In particular, if one buys a motherboard with one of these IGP chipsets:
                A. GeForce 8200 mGPU
                B. GeForce 8300 mGPU
                C. 750a SLI
                how much mileage vs hassle should/could be expected for getting the mobo to work well?
                Should all work fine.

Comment

I own a GeForce 8200 mGPU. Works fine.

Comment

The release highlights for the 180.16 driver release mention support for the following GPUs being added: Quadro FX 2700M, GeForce 9400M G, GeForce 9800GT, GeForce 8200M G, GeForce Go 7700, GeForce 9800M GTX, GeForce 9800M GT, GeForce 9800M GS, GeForce 9500GT, GeForce 9700M GT, and GeForce 9650M GT.
                    The drivers have always worked fine for my gpu (in bold). Does this mean that features I wasn't aware of will work and/or performance will be improved?

Comment

Working...
                    X