Problems with WINE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with WINE

Hi, i have ubuntu 8.10 64 bit, open source drivers mesa 7.2. When i use WINE, it get me to login screen. i try to turn off compiz but did not work also. I wont to play Arcanum . Any suggestion?

I don't think Wine can work with any of the open source drivers at the moment. Also, I don't think Arcanum works really well with Wine either.

Comment

Maybe this can help. When i want to configure WINE it happens also, it get me to login screen.

Comment

Trying to break the language barrier here.
        Do you come back to a user login screen (Welcome to Gnome / Ubuntu / Linux)?
        or do you get to a login screen in Arcanum? (I have not played the game, so I am not much help there)

Comment

It get me back to gnome/ubuntu/linux login screen. Restart X.

Comment

So far the only thing I have read is to try to re-install the video driver.

Comment

With ATI/AMD prorietary FGLRX graphic driver it whose easy to reinstall, but with open source i am little lost. Any help?

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                I don't think Wine can work with any of the open source drivers at the moment. Also, I don't think Arcanum works really well with Wine either.
                I have no idea about the game in question, but certainly Wine works with Mesa.

Comment

Maybe stating the obvious, but, could you post your video hardware specs? Usually (and I'm speaking about ATi/nVidia proprietary drivers here) this is usually due to an incompatible version of the GL library being installed. You mentioned you are on a 64-bit system, however, do you also have the 32-bit Mesa packages installed? Without these Wine cannor run. Recently Wine tied the 2D graphics draw to OpenGL, hence it requires fully operational OpenGL rendering in 32-bit mode for 64-bit Operating Systems. This seems to be a case of no 32-bit OpenGL (Mesa) libGL bein present in your system.

Also, you mention Ubuntu, which IIRC does things a bit differently in its 64-bit version, using /usr/lib32 for the 32-bit library files instead of /usr/lib, considered to be the standard for 32-bit libraries and binaries, and /usr/lib64 for 64-bit libraries and binaries. This makes things a bit harder, as most programs would expect to link to files found in /usr/lib for 32-bit binaries instead of /usr/lib32 (unless some ld.so.conf magic is played)...

In short my advise would be to check if you have indeed the libGL.so files in either /usr/lib/libGL.so, /usr/lib32/libGL.so, /usr/lib64/libGL.so, etc... And maybe to see if there is a 'wine' file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ (if you have an /etc/ld.so.conf.d directory, otherwise, check the contents of the /etc/ld.so.conf file)

Comment

Working...
                  X