What is wrong with this statement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    PhysX is a big selling point of NVidia. I don't think they'll open it up. NVidia cards stomp ATI ones on the ground with PhysX games FPS-wise. Why would they want to give up the edge?
    They're not big enough to close it. Nvidia just scrimps on shaders and puts more general processing units in than ATI does. Nvidia doesn't care about gamers or linux. They just want to build desktop super computers that use so much elecricity that by the time they are done they will have sucked the common peoples wallets dry and be able to offer supercomputers to intellectual snobs they suck up to. Nvidia is a workstation graphics card maker first and foremost. Their cards can do tons better on opengl but they gimp them to stop competing with the workstation market. This will hamstring linux attempting to move to Simple Direct Media layer and keep focus on DirectX 11. DirectX 11 will include a bigger black hole of shader needs until they can sell 3 video cards to every consumer who has the money to afford it and pump the money back into CUDA developement costs. They're tanking onboard video with super weak performance and getting their nose in all the chipset market to drive people from the natural progression of shifting to microATX and smaller more efficient computers. Because they don't want that. They want new standards that require more power to continue funding cuda till it can reach a stage where they just dump on everyone and are in control of the super computer market. Openness will occur as long as it doesn't hamstring their long range goals.
    They are probably close to the end. Once they get to a 3 card setup it will be scalable enough to go from there. Physx is just a way to package what they really want to compute to masses and generate the hardware they really want to generate. The 3 year depression we are going into will likely completely undo and unwind all their goals and plans, and to express it in IT terms they will likely be retasked as they learn to compete with selling video cards in a market flooded with SLI owners selling one of their cards on ebay for rent or mortgage money.
    All the stuff Nvidia wants to do will probably happen but under different circumstances. Likely when what people want to do with such a thing becomes clearer and happens in more cooperative ways. Not through continual manipulation and herding like is happening now. The other manipulators have herded everyone into another slaughter house already.

Via struggled to create a new spin on mobile computing and the nettop and mini-itx market only to be bullied around by Intel and if the people who promoted sane computing don't end up with some nice chip plants for 10 cents on dollar me and God are going to play Ro Shambo because I'm going to be praying angry!!!

Comment

LMAO, ok that has to be the funniest thing I've read all day. Lets break it down point by point.

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
      They're not big enough to close it. Nvidia just scrimps on shaders and puts more general processing units in than ATI does. Nvidia doesn't care about gamers or linux. They just want to build desktop super computers that use so much elecricity that by the time they are done they will have sucked the common peoples wallets dry and be able to offer supercomputers to intellectual snobs they suck up to. Nvidia is a workstation graphics card maker first and foremost. Their cards can do tons better on opengl but they gimp them to stop competing with the workstation market.
      OK every major graphics player does the exact same thing. Quadro's and Fire cards are both based on the consumer model chipsets. That has been in practise for years and is not limited to graphics cards. Workstation class motherboards, harddrives, displays, etc also carry a premium. These cards are built to higher standards the consumer products and as such catch a premium because they cater to a small niche market. ATI/Nvidia/Trident/ 3dlabs etc have all done it. All companies nowdays are playing to the "go green" march. Performance per watt on a gpgpu system can far exceed anything that a conventional cpu can do on applications that can take advantage of it. The whole idea of a gpgpu based system is to get faster performance at a lower cost including electricity.

If the companies did not care about gamers then they wouldn't even bother making a consumer card. It's the consumer card that gets the brand recognition which leads to more profitable professional sales. Other companies that have tried to play only in the workstation market have failed miserably. Just look at how many time 3dlabs has sold to other companies.

GPGPU is all about efficiency.

This will hamstring linux attempting to move to Simple Direct Media layer and keep focus on DirectX 11.
      lol, that comment just has 0 basis of fact.

DirectX 11 will include a bigger black hole of shader needs until they can sell 3 video cards to every consumer who has the money to afford it and pump the money back into CUDA developement costs.
      That money also goes back into development of items like openCL, linux support, openGL support as well.

They're tanking onboard video with super weak performance and getting their nose in all the chipset market to drive people from the natural progression of shifting to microATX and smaller more efficient computers. Because they don't want that. They want new standards that require more power to continue funding cuda till it can reach a stage where they just dump on everyone and are in control of the super computer market. Openness will occur as long as it doesn't hamstring their long range goals.
      First of all mATX boards may be suitable for some but not all. If companies were truely trying to get people to consume more power they wouldn't be implementing hybrid power setups. They wouldn't even incorporate PCI-e bus to allow upgraded video on mATX boards. It also allows for another easy upgrade path when newer, faster, and more efficient products are released.

They are probably close to the end. Once they get to a 3 card setup it will be scalable enough to go from there. Physx is just a way to package what they really want to compute to masses and generate the hardware they really want to generate.
      It's great marketing, after all it is a business and not a non-profit organization. Their #1 responsibility is to the share holders.

The 3 year depression we are going into will likely completely undo and unwind all their goals and plans, and to express it in IT terms they will likely be retasked as they learn to compete with selling video cards in a market flooded with SLI owners selling one of their cards on ebay for rent or mortgage money.
      Seriously if your that hard up, your a moron because you spent foolishly and couldn't afford the luxuries that you should have never bought in the first place.

All the stuff Nvidia wants to do will probably happen but under different circumstances. Likely when what people want to do with such a thing becomes clearer and happens in more cooperative ways. Not through continual manipulation and herding like is happening now. The other manipulators have herded everyone into another slaughter house already.
      Companies respond to consumer demands and wants. If they didn't they wouldn't sell product or be profitable resulting in loss of development, jobs, technology progession and so much more.

Via struggled to create a new spin on mobile computing and the nettop and mini-itx market only to be bullied around by Intel and if the people who promoted sane computing don't end up with some nice chip plants for 10 cents on dollar me and God are going to play Ro Shambo because I'm going to be praying angry!!!
      Via is in shambles because of piss poor management and execution. Nobody is to blame for via's downfalls except via. Any asset that they aquire they totally butcher, IC Ensemble and S3 are perfect examples. Those brands at one time they were competitive in the market, once via touched them they stagnated and pulled out of contention.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        LMAO, ok that has to be the funniest thing I've read all day. Lets break it down point by point.

OK every major graphics player does the exact same thing. Quadro's and Fire cards are both based on the consumer model chipsets. That has been in practise for years and is not limited to graphics cards. Workstation class motherboards, harddrives, displays, etc also carry a premium. These cards are built to higher standards the consumer products and as such catch a premium because they cater to a small niche market. ATI/Nvidia/Trident/ 3dlabs etc have all done it. All companies nowdays are playing to the "go green" march. Performance per watt on a gpgpu system can far exceed anything that a conventional cpu can do on applications that can take advantage of it. The whole idea of a gpgpu based system is to get faster performance at a lower cost including electricity.
        So you're saying ALL the companies do it today? Last time I looked only 2 were alive. AMD/ATI seem to pull the same crap that nvidia pulls but they seem to do it reluctantly. I'd be willing to bet they figure out what is going on long before they actually adopt the behavior. Everyone knows nvidia has put dog graphics cards on the market and kept them on the market for years and years and years to drive you to pay 500 bucks for a video card. What exactly is green about putting crappy transistors on valuable semiconductor substrate to manage and manipulate consumer expecation that is a scheme you call brilliant? There's nothing green about throwing tons of boards with nasty lead and valuable gold plating into dumpsites because they have to be designed to suck enough from the start to keep cash flowing.

GPGPU is all about efficiency.

lol, that comment just has 0 basis of fact.

That money also goes back into development of items like openCL, linux support, openGL support as well.
        LINUX support. LINUX support. Did I just hear you say linux support? Writing crap drivers not publishing them, Their support for openCL will begin and end with it meeting their needs. They're charging $500 bucks a pop to idiots who spend months beta testing their drivers for them so they can turn around, open up what the architecture will truely do and put a stable driver on it for 4 grand. I don't see Linux support. I see marketing, DX11 anouncements, motherboard support chips that support 3x16 SLI and which will become 4x16 SLI, advertisements and announcements for new video cards. These actions are not the support for the will of computer industry at large. It's all for cuda and if they have come out with DX11 and push developers into upgrading whatever working addictive game is out there to a new graphics engine to create the demand for rest of Nvidia's GT line, they'll do it. Nvidia is just a part of a larger conciousness and if that conciousness has to wreck homes and lives with addictive computer games it will do it to get what it wants. So now what are they going to do? The snobs endowments are wrecked and affording Tesla is going to be hard on them so Nvidia is going to have to try to suck the money out of the masses who are broke and deeply in debt.

First of all mATX boards may be suitable for some but not all. If companies were truely trying to get people to consume more power they wouldn't be implementing hybrid power setups. They wouldn't even incorporate PCI-e bus to allow upgraded video on mATX boards. It also allows for another easy upgrade path when newer, faster, and more efficient products are released.
        Oh ya you're right. I'm running fedora core 10 and I bought one of these microATX board with onboard video. It's what lead me to these boards because it has performance reviews on ATI offering of it. Let me turn on my hybrid power one second. I've never had an onboard video card I've known enough about computer architecture to know it's not a good idea. Now that we've changed buses 3 or 4 freaking times, changed ram configurations a half a dozen times it should be awesome bathed in bandwith showered in 50 micron goodness. It's not. It sucks. It sucks so badly that it makes onboard video in 1996 look AWESOME. Let me take all this rhetorick about linux and opengl and openCL support and turn on my hybrid power applet.

Hey wait where the HELL is my hybrid power applet. I don't have my hybrid power applet. Cuda is going to happen and someone can't take a few pathetic weeks out of their lives to write me a hybrid power applet. Or publish enough information about their hardware to allow someone who gives a damn about it to do it.

It's great marketing, after all it is a business and not a non-profit organization. Their #1 responsibility is to the share holders.

Seriously if your that hard up, your a moron because you spent foolishly and couldn't afford the luxuries that you should have never bought in the first place.

Companies respond to consumer demands and wants. If they didn't they wouldn't sell product or be profitable resulting in loss of development, jobs, technology progession and so much more.
        I live simply am fine financially and have no debt.
        If companies are responding to consumer demands then let me make some.
        I demand and want a microatx motherboard with 2 sli slots 1 pcix1 slot and 1 pci slot, and if it has onboard graphics I demand it not be so pathetic as to be a waste of silicon when I know it can be done better but it never won't because the only people who can do it really are not involved enough in it to pull it off and the people who can do it don't care. I demand it cause that form factor would support smaller cases that can be cooled with alot lets fan noises and be quieter. Parroting nvidia rhetoric about support and openess and blah blah blah hits me at a core that's hard as diamond and easily defeated intellectually just by looking at the reality that exists. Nvidia made 1 billion dollars 4th quarter of 2007 and they couldn't afford to hire someone to support hybrid sli on linux? Or publish enough information to allow it to happen? This gGPU architechture needs the ability for end users to tweak the loads and not just set the load in driver and be done with it. People are perfectly capable of doing that but where's the support for it? You think the people who buy Tesla will not be allowed to distribute the loads on their machines? Why would they do that when they can just tell users to shut up and buy new video cards and waste elecricity for them.

You want a review of hybrid sli? I'll give you my review. They need to switch to a composite material heat sink because shooting these stupid pathetic wastes of silicon with .308 ball rounds results in core explosions. They aren't nearly well enough armored to withstand my criticism of this hairbrained pathetic attempt at a chipset. Motherboard manufacturers are lopping off 20 30 and 40x240mm of the mATX system board and they can't find enough die space to put some decent graphics on these things? Of course they can. They just don't want to because it doesn't serve their needs. Brilliant marketing scheme over, brilliant search for super high profits over. People will drop out of this collective conciousness and where it's heading like rats jumping off a ship when the food runs out and the superior beings on the ship start eating them. Nvidia will be forced into openess when their stuff is being auctioned off to the highest bidder. Can the snobs save them with their endowments plundered? Can the collective conciousness hold it's contributers when they have to log out of World of Warcraft and go fight against mobs and riots without a plus 3 swords to protect them. Tune in 1st quarter 2009. Rhetorik and promises stop working, Windows 7 fails to lure consumers away from campbells soup. Stocks plummet citing inability to tolerate windows genuine advantage hassles when they are hungry. Nvidia releases it's new GT300x video card. Consumers buy 8800GTX+ for 50 bucks on ebay instead.
        Of course my view could just be a competing rhetorik to yours. Have to wait and see.
        Last edited by Hephasteus; 17 December 2008, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X