What is wrong with this statement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is wrong with this statement?

I came across a quote today from AMD's Director of Technical Marketing about PhysX.
    "There is no plan for closed and proprietary standards like PhysX," said Cheng. "As we have emphasised with our support for OpenCL and DX11, closed and proprietary standards will die."
    This could be a candidate for funny quote of the day I'm sure Bridgman and his team working on getting out specs for their cards would get a chuckle out of this.

Well I think that Nvidia will support OpenCL too, because they have been in the same group who created the specs. I would even expect it faster than ATI.

Comment

DX11 is open and non-proprietary?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        You'll be able to use it on a wide range of operating systems - everything from Windows Vista to Windows Server 2008 to Windows 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
          You'll be able to use it on a wide range of operating systems - everything from Windows Vista to Windows Server 2008 to Windows 7.
          Did I hear Vista? Really? I didnt think that was gonna happen.

Comment

When he says that he means it in terms of hardware. DX11 will run on ATI, NVIDIA, Intel integrated, and even x86 CPUs with a software rasterizer (albeit terribly slow, but good enough for desktop effects). Unlike CUDA which only runs on NVIDIA GPUs and x86 CPUs.

Although, why NVIDIA would keep PhysX as a CUDA-only thing (thus ensuring that it'll die a quiet death as a footnote in gaming API history) when they could port it to DX11 or OpenCL beats me.

Comment

Originally posted by joffe View Post
              When he says that he means it in terms of hardware. DX11 will run on ATI, NVIDIA, Intel integrated, and even x86 CPUs with a software rasterizer (albeit terribly slow, but good enough for desktop effects). Unlike CUDA which only runs on NVIDIA GPUs and x86 CPUs.

Although, why NVIDIA would keep PhysX as a CUDA-only thing (thus ensuring that it'll die a quiet death as a footnote in gaming API history) when they could port it to DX11 or OpenCL beats me.
              I wouldn't be surprised for them to port it over to openCL. They have not said they would keep it as a Cuda app and given their support of the efforts to use Physx on a Radeon it would be kind of surprising actually if they did not port it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                Windows Vista. I hear that's a good platform for ensuring that nothing ever gets tested or benchmarked because someone told me it got suicidal if you changed your hardware.

vis?ta (vst)
                n.
                a. A distant view or prospect, especially one seen through an opening, as between rows of buildings or trees.
                b. An avenue or other passage affording such a view.
                2. An awareness of a range of time, events, or subjects; a broad mental view: "the deep and sweeping vistas these pioneering critics opened up" Arthur C. Danto.

They should name windows 7 Miranda. The EULA will write itself. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you...

"Never co-create with persons who ask you to agree to numerous diminishings of your rights to hold them responsible. It won't end well."- Me

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Well, DirectX is actually a defacto standard, which doesn't exactly make it an Open Standard, however, it does behave like one. Basically everyone (IHVs) is forced to support it, at risk of not being relevant at all (well, except maybe Sun and SGI graphics hardware and workstations , though they might still support it ).

Comment

PhysX is a big selling point of NVidia. I don't think they'll open it up. NVidia cards stomp ATI ones on the ground with PhysX games FPS-wise. Why would they want to give up the edge?

Comment

Working...
                    X