RadeonHD 1.2.4 Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    What do you tell somebody with a shiny new laptop and ATI card that locks up with fglrx when trying to watch DVB-T via kaffeine?
    Tell him to use deinterlacing (the best option kaffeine has available, GreedyH or similiar). I had the same issue with my dvb-s card back when I was using fglrx and found out that it was caused by interlaced video and enabling deinterlacing fixed it (well, except for one channel, but I think that's because they partialy send interlaced and uninterlaced material and the deinterlacer doesn't know how to handle this.

Comment

The full system locks up, i guess because of xv. Nvidia drivers never had such an issue.

Comment

The full system locks up, i guess because of xv. Nvidia drivers never had such an issue.
        Use Xshm, enable deinterlacing, switch to Xv and it should playback without locking up.
        Also your constant rambling about the quality of fglrx/nvidia gets annoying, y'know? I don't think anyone questions that the nvidia is in fact the better blob.
        Last edited by Zhick; 13 December 2008, 10:21 AM.

Comment

No, it's not annoying and it will never be. We always have to remind AMD they have to WORK if they want to earn respect. And I'll remind them always. NVIDIA works for linux since at least 7 years, and I respect them. And since I pay for AMD cards, they have to work too.

Comment

Well DVB-T is an example. I guess the xserver just locks because xv is tried to be used. Could not verify this yet, but Xorg 7.1.1 + xv seems be pretty unstable.
            Have you considered upgrading? I mean, X.Org 7.1.1... really?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              EDIT - just noticed Michael was actually talking about "3D stack next year". That's probably right, not because of IP issues or anything, just that the 3D support is a *big* task. My SWAG estimates were a total of 28 developer-months to bring 6xx/7xx 3D up to the same level as 5xx, and that the equivalent of 18 developer-months of work had been done, either from Matthias/Alex/Richard writing code and working out problems or from internal code we were able to leverage. Adding 5xx 3D support was a much smaller task by comparison since the 5xx is a lot like a 3xx/4xx other than the actual shader instructions - the big fixed-function blocks like VAP didn't change much. Going to 6xx every block except the command processor is totally different.
              What about AMD contracting Nicolai Haehnle and Corbin Simpson to work on the 3D stack?
              They did a lot of work this summer improving the R500 code.

Comment

@Zhick

You know that xshm is pure software rendering? That locks absolutely badly.

Comment

1.2.4 under debian etch?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: RadeonHD 1.2.4 Driver Released

While the Novell developers responsible for the xf86-video-radeonhd driver have been busy working on OpenSuSE 11.1, we have managed to get a new driver point release before the end of the year. Matthias Hopf has this morning announced the availability of the RadeonHD 1.2.4 driver. Added since the RadeonHD 1.2.3 driver in October is HDMI audio support, support for the ATI RV710 and RV730 GPUs using DCE 3.2, rotation support, RandR 1.3 panning, and many acceleration and build fixes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjkyNQ
                  Anyone have this working under etch? Not looking for anything fancy, just want solid 2d for my 4850. 1.2.4 works great on Lenny, but I haven't found the time to make the complete switch from my etch installation yet.
                  Thanks in advance.

Happy Holidays!

Comment

No problem to compile with etch. Just take the one from Kanotix.

Comment

No problem to compile with etch. Just take the one from Kanotix.
                      "the one"? what? Source package? .deb ?

I was all over the kanotix site and couldn't find anything relevant. No reference to radeonhd other than the script which I already have (and don't know how to use).

Comment

Working...
                      X