Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Companion 41

Phoronix: Nouveau Companion 41

Just in time for the holidays is a new Nouveau Companion newsletter to update the community on the status of this open-source 2D/3D NVIDIA driver that is written by clean room reverse-engineering of NVIDIA's binary driver. It has been a while since Nouveau Companion 40, but there is still active work going into this X.Org driver. Among the topics covered in the 41st edition of the Nouveau Companion is kernel mode-setting, Gallium3D, layering GEM on top of TTM (similar to the GEM-ified TTM Radeon driver), and thermal monitoring code for the Nouveau driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So nv4x now supports compiz with nouveau??

Well, I have an 8600 GT and there is no gaming support yet, but still, this is good news, looks like this driver is shaping up nicely.

I am waiting for full 3d-support on GeForce 8 cards, with in game performance as least as high as with the closed driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Eragon View Post
      So nv4x now supports compiz with nouveau??

Well, I have an 8600 GT and there is no gaming support yet, but still, this is good news, looks like this driver is shaping up nicely.

I am waiting for full 3d-support on GeForce 8 cards, with in game performance as least as high as with the closed driver.
      you're going to be waiting a long time [read:forever).

Due to the flexibility and difference in arch of G80 and up, it is going to be a while even for usable 3d. But it is cool that compiz now works on some cards, the nouveau guys are awesome

Comment

Power management is really the feature that will make me consider the open source version.

I really don't want my GPU to be as hot as if I had heavy 3D running.

I want it to be cool

Comment

Good job Noveau team, hopefully the driver keeps advancing faster and faster!

Comment

Working...
          X