No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.12 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cruiseoveride you bullshit is so deep you are in risk of drowning in it. Really.

Comment

• Hi,

I bought 3870 when it first come out basically a year ago. I got really fed up with the lack of fixes in each release of fglx. In the end I switched to the 8800gt.
      It's time fot an upgrade again. An AtI have the best price performance again. I just can't believe they have not fixed the problems with the driver yet, after a year people are complaing about the same problems.
      I think Ati hope people upgrade all the time so they don't have fix bugs with the older cards.
      does the 3870x2 work yet? They have waisted so much time adding pointless features like crossfire, when this % of users is so low. But they ignore fixing video or opengl under compiz.
      And bugs which affect the mainstream user.

If you stick with ATI goodluck, it's just as bad a year latter

Comment

• you could also ask why 'fixing' opengl for a windowmanager nobody in his right mind would use anyway because it is broken and pretty useless?

Comment

• Originally posted by seanbarman View Post
          does the 3870x2 work yet? They have waisted so much time adding pointless features like crossfire, when this % of users is so low. But they ignore fixing video or opengl under compiz.
          And bugs which affect the mainstream user.
          I won't say it's still as bad as it was. Ok, video still doesn't work together with AIGLX. With 8.12 video was flickering in window mode and enabled desktop effects, while with 8.11 the video wasn't really visible. With the leaked beta, the system complete hangs. So it seems, they're working on it (even it got worse with the betas).
          But I also must say, 2D is really faster in KDE4 than with Nvidia. And I hope, the video problems will be fixed too. If so, ATI will be the better choice in my opinion.

PS: I didn't tested it, but I was said that desktop effects together with video (the big problem of the catalyst) doesn't even work at all with Nvidia. Did heared that from different people.

Comment

• If you change video driver in the media player you are using to X11 the flickering goes away.

Comment

• Originally posted by conholster View Post
              If you change video driver in the media player you are using to X11 the flickering goes away.
              I know, but it's also much slower than xv. So for me it's better to deactivate desktop effects, at least temporary (Alt+Shift+F12 in KDE4).

Comment

• Yea that works too. Thanks for the key shortcut didnt know there was one.

Comment

• Originally posted by conholster View Post
                  Yea that works too. Thanks for the key shortcut didnt know there was one.
                  Be careful, desktop effects will be enabled again on next login regardless of the status on logout.

Comment

• what bull, i own a 4870, my last ati card was a 9700pro, that was 7 years ago!!!!! and the drivers still suck balls.

Comment

• Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
                      what bull, i own a 4870, my last ati card was a 9700pro, that was 7 years ago!!!!! and the drivers still suck balls.
                      All drivers does this. So what do you want to say?

Comment

Working...
                      X