No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.12 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do you think I currently only put in an ATI card for optimizing my fglrx script? The card is so bad that now even in vesa mode it begins to show bad letters. And that's already the 2nd PCI-E card with RV410 that dies here... Sooner or later I run out of test cards.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      I don't understand the people who post that it works great with compiz or any other compositing system. Maximizing a window or opening a menu takes half a second. Is THAT your idea of great?
      not here, but I don't use broken compiz, but kwin 4.1.82

Comment

First: Hello and thanks for the drivers and all the hard work, which was put in it!

But: 8.12 fails totally on my system. I updated it from 8.11 and first everything worked perfectly. But then i made a great mistake: i activated the "xinerama"-option in the control center
        Until then i couldn't get any fglrx-version working anymore. I'm trying since 2 hours put i haven't had any success. Ubuntu boots normal, but when it comes a certain point the PC just freezes and i must do a hard reboot on the system. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, but i don't have any success.
        My GPU is a Mobility Radeon HD 2600 and I'm working with Ubuntu 8.04.1. I hope i can get this problem fixed, because the open source driver doesn't work like i want it to... (for example: my second monitor just turns off one or two seconds, when i'm working with dualhead just every now and then...)

Comment

Installed 8.12 (no helper scripts, just plain ATI driver installation) on Ubuntu 8.10 amd64, working fine. I have a HD2600 XT.

Comment

@Boerkel

Boot with

text

as additional option, that disables gdm. Then you can do

/usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
            rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
            dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and reboot, that resets it to standard driver. If you used a script with debian packageing, use this:

dpkg --purge $(dpkg -l|cut -f3 -d' '|grep -e fglrx -e libamdxvba)

to uninstall the driver.

Comment

If anyone have problems with libatiadlxx.so I recommend to clean the system or make clean install ;-)

Comment

Compiz

I don't get it: there is absolutely no improvement with Composite (xorg 1.5, KWin 4.1.3). Google Earth still flickers like hell, and kaffeine's the same with videos. Are there any special settings in xorg.conf I should be aware of???

Radeonhd on the other hand works fine with composite, no flickering at all.

Comment

Garbled screen F10

Can anyone suggest something to help?

After running the

Catalyst 8.12 setup then
                  touch /etc/X11/xorg.conf then
                  aticonfig --initial then
                  reboot

I get this screen

Hitting ctrl+alt+'+' a few times gives me a zoomed version of the same corruption

Ctrl+alt+F2 gets me the VT; nothing obvious (to me) shows up in Xorg.0.log

I've got a Radeon 4650 (passive as if that mattered) and I installed . It's on the intel G45 motherboard (the G45 works well under F10 btw).

Comment

You could try 8-11 instead or buy nvidia

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      You could try 8-11 instead or buy nvidia
                      I'm starting to seriously think about buying a Nvidia to replace my HD3870. I still cannot start another X-session (e.g switch user) without a total and unrecoverable freeze of the system. This is bad!

Can anyone recommend me a Nvidia card thats about the same as my HD3870 and that is fanless? I have a PowerColor HD3870 SCS3 now.

Comment

Working...
                      X