Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Display Server Gets A Terminal

Phoronix: Wayland Display Server Gets A Terminal
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Precision

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Wayland Display Server Gets A Terminalhttp://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjkxMg
    As Kristian H?gsberg says here , the project is not a Red Hat's project. But he still working there.

Comment

Is Wayland really an X server?

What I mean by that question is whether Wayland is (or intended to be) compatible with the protocol between X Server and X Client or not.

If it is, then why do we need another GTK backend? Won't the normal X backend work? Won't normal X clients be compatible with Wayland?

If it isn't, then stop calling it an X server. It would be a totally new protocol that's incompatible with X protocol.

Please note that my usage of the word "X" doesn't refer to any particular implementation of X like X.Org or XFree86. I'm talking about the X protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by BhaKi View Post
        What I mean by that question is whether Wayland is (or intended to be) compatible with the protocol between X Server and X Client or not.

If it is, then why do we need another GTK backend? Won't the normal X backend work? Won't normal X clients be compatible with Wayland?

If it isn't, then stop calling it an X server. It would be a totally new protocol that's incompatible with X protocol.

Please note that my usage of the word "X" doesn't refer to any particular implementation of X like X.Org or XFree86. I'm talking about the X protocol.
        What I understood, is that Wayland doesn't "speek" X protocol. It's a local display server for everybody PC. Once an X server run on top of wayland (as a wayland client), then any X clients could run on wayland (using GTK, QT, ...).
        Porting GTK to wayland allowed GTK client to run without the X Server layer.

I admit than if the rootless X server run on top of wayland, may be it's not necessary to port GTK. Maybe it has something to do with client rendering. Don't know.

Comment

Working...
        X