Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• debian/ubuntu package is a joke

i downloaded the debian package and i have some complaints:

1) upon installation it began downloading what SHOULD be INSIDE the package. the whole point of the package is so that when you uninstall it, it will remove EVERYTHING that was installed.

2) it requires PHP to be installed. seriously, you couldnt just make a shell script or compile a simple app?!

3) there is no menu icon to run the suite. it's annoying to have to guess what the binary name is.

4) upon running the suite, it asked me what modules to install or something. shouldnt this be part of the package installation process?! at the very least, it should have a gui.

i didnt even bother to figure out the secondary installation BS and just uninstalled it. im sure it's a good app when you get it running but the install process is totally half-assed.

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
    i downloaded the debian package and i have some complaints:

1) upon installation it began downloading what SHOULD be INSIDE the package. the whole point of the package is so that when you uninstall it, it will remove EVERYTHING that was installed.
    Uhhuh, ya that makes alot of sense, a 15+ GB deb. Not everybody has the commercial apps as well which are needed for some tests. All related PTS files are kept in it's own directory. Delete the directory and you've done a complete uninstall without screwing up your distro's precompiled binaries.

2) it requires PHP to be installed. seriously, you couldnt just make a shell script or compile a simple app?!
    PHP allows for simple modification and modularization.

3) there is no menu icon to run the suite. it's annoying to have to guess what the binary name is.
    RTFM, seriously that is what the documentation and examples are there for on the site.

4) upon running the suite, it asked me what modules to install or something. shouldnt this be part of the package installation process?! at the very least, it should have a gui.
    No, what if I have recompiled my libraries, what if I made a mistake and did not want to install the test. What if the package names have been renamed between distro releases? GUI's are nice, but not necessary. What if I want to run benchmarks on X-less system. Installing X would be a horrid dependency. A gui will eventually get there for lazy asses that can't be half assed to read but rather post and bitch without actually thinking.

i didnt even bother to figure out the secondary installation BS and just uninstalled it. im sure it's a good app when you get it running but the install process is totally half-assed.
    If you can't bother to read the set out documentation then really your input has 0 value.

Last edited by deanjo; 08 December 2008, 03:04 AM.

Comment

4) upon running the suite, it asked me what modules to install or something. shouldnt this be part of the package installation process?!
      Whilst you might want to use all the benchmarks not everyone does. Say I was tweaking the frequency/timings of my RAM and trying to find the best comprimise I wouldn't want to download 15+GB's just to use two or three RAM based tests that should only take up less than 10MB. The way the suite is setup now allows you to save bandwidth & time by only downloading the tests you choose to run.

Comment

I don't care if I'm a half ass, who cant be bothered to read, I second upon a GUI. A picture can say a thousand words in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Busters View Post
          I don't care if I'm a half ass, who cant be bothered to read, I second upon a GUI. A picture can say a thousand words in my eyes.
          For those that don't like messing with command-line options, your prayers will be answered with Phoronix Test Suite 2.x.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
          X