Prey Linux Retail Client Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
    Am I right in thinking this means that all the games that use the ID-tech 4 engine now run under linux? Also I wonder if we will get Prey 2 when it comes out, I seem to remember that they'll be using ID-tech 4 again for it...
    It's not a foregone conclusion. Because it uses the engine, it's an easy thing- so long as they didn't do too much drift from the engine's original source and they didn't do too many goofy things in the game parts of the code.

Having said this, one wonders what's up with us getting this at this time, with them telling us how to purchase it elsewhere.

Just don't presume that we're getting Prey 2 just yet.

I tend to try and get the games straight from the developers.
    Heh... Teasing... I'm teasing...

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      Just don't presume that we're getting Prey 2 just yet.
      Oh aye I wouldn't presume that; there are just to many unknowns for a definite answer. I see the release of Prey as a test run for Human Head studio's to gauge if there is enough intrest to consider releasing future games with linux binaries. In the same vein as what Ascaron are most likely doing with sacred.

Heh... Teasing... I'm teasing...
      Oh I know, I'm playing along.

Comment

That is because of how the dual-screen setup you're using is accomplishing things. The GL drivers think the display surface is one the size of the combined screen resolutions, and the accelerator splits the rendering surface between the screens. When you ask for a fullscreen surface in OpenGL, it uses the WHOLE surface resolution that you're utilizing in dual-screen and then sensibly centers it.

You're never going to get "proper" fullscreen with a dual-screen setup. It is going to always be split that way. Either live with that gap in the rendering, get a wider screen monitor that gives you most of the dual screen setup, or do it in a window...
        I thought that Xinerama was supposed to provide info to apps for multi-head setups so that they could build their display to respect window positioning properly.

Comment

Steam CD key for Prey

Originally posted by Crbz View Post
          But as a heads up, the Steam CD-key does not work with the Linux version. (atleast for me).. . So even if you can use the data files from the Steam install, you still need a boxed version for the key.
          How do you identify your Steam version's "CD key"? I can't find it anywhere. I think I made the same mistake you did, and made it a purchase via Steam and downloaded it.

Thanks!

Comment

I see the release of Prey as a test run for Human Head studio's to gauge if there is enough intrest to consider releasing future games with linux binaries.
            Rune wasn't enough?

The Prey client for Linux isn't any sort of marketing research. It was purely a volunteer thing. It neither encourages nor impedes the chances of seeing a Linux version of Prey 2.

--ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
              I thought that Xinerama was supposed to provide info to apps for multi-head setups so that they could build their display to respect window positioning properly.
              Heh. It DOES do that as long as X11 is the owner of the framebuffer. Once you go fullscreen OpenGL mode, take a wild guess which is then in charge...

In other words, you don't HAVE window positioning to deal with unless you're in Windowed mode. Which, by the by, is kind of what I indicated as one of the options there.

Comment

Oh aye I wouldn't presume that; there are just to many unknowns for a definite answer. I see the release of Prey as a test run for Human Head studio's to gauge if there is enough intrest to consider releasing future games with linux binaries. In the same vein as what Ascaron are most likely doing with sacred.
                Interesting, no? I can't venture a guess as to what's going on but that is a good supposition. Oh, keep in mind that there's a bit more than Human Head involved in Prey as development studios go.

Comment

Am I right in thinking this means that all the games that use the ID-tech 4 engine now run under linux? Also I wonder if we will get Prey 2 when it comes out, I seem to remember that they'll be using ID-tech 4 again for it...

I tend to try and get the games straight from the developers.
                  Actually, i read about a console game that uses id tech 4 (doom3 engine):

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles. However, im finding contradictory information in the web. Some sites say it used id tech 4, others say that the Wii is incapable of processing the idtech 4 engine. Go figure.

Comment

Why would I pay 4 times more for basicly the same thing (oh yay a burnt cd with the native linux binaries!). I want to support tuxgames but seriously things like that just get on my nerves.
                    As I said, for me, it costs the same here in Slovakia.. 15$ on tuxgames.com is ~350sk (slovak krown), local shop with windows release has price 300Sk. ?5 from amazon is 200Sk - that's two beers difference (and amazon won't sell anything than books, movies and music to Slovakia..).

and why even if it costs more? to show that linux games are wanted! the big CEO's and managers of hug companies do not look at these forums and counting how many linux users buy windows version of their game to use with linux binary. They just look at how many linux boxes was sold? And that's the problem..
                    We have to buy linux games if we want more of them
                    Last edited by skkayman; 09 December 2008, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Heh. It DOES do that as long as X11 is the owner of the framebuffer. Once you go fullscreen OpenGL mode, take a wild guess which is then in charge...

In other words, you don't HAVE window positioning to deal with unless you're in Windowed mode. Which, by the by, is kind of what I indicated as one of the options there.
                      But shouldn't Prey read the Xinerama info in order to know how to build its display, and, if it finds that there's more than one, provide options compatible with that. I would've thought it should be able to open a GL window with the full screen dimensions of one of the displays and constrain input to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X