hd3470 mobility, temperature and fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hd3470 mobility, temperature and fan

hi all, I recently bought a toshiba laptop with a mobility hd3470 and I've been messing around with the latest fglrx. While almost everything worked out of the box, I cannot get any temperature reading out of it. the aticonfig --od-gettemperature says POWERplay is not supported, while the pplib commands I found looking around in the forum fail for the most part.

~ $ aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get version"
    PPLIB version is 1.4 and is active!

$ aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get temperature 0"
    PPLIB command execution has failed!
    ati_pplib_cmd: execute "get" failed!

same thing for the get/set fanspeed, same thing if I run commands as root.

Now, am I doing something wrong? I keep hearing a fan spinning even when I'm substantially doing nothing and I'd really like to know if the video card is running too hot and eventually downclock it, since I really only need a 2d reliable system (would that be even possible on my card?)

Even if nobody has a solution, could you please people with hd 34xy cards tell me if these pplib commands work for you, so that I can understand if it's a problem with my setup or something I can't do anything about?

Comment

from 3450

$ aticonfig --list-adapters
      * 0. 01:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 3450

* - Default adapter
      $ aticonfig --od-gettemperature
      ERROR - Could not find library: libatiadlxx.so

$ ls -l /usr/lib/libatiadlxx.so
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 104232 2008-12-13 13:17 /usr/lib/libatiadlxx.so

Hmmm, not sure what's happened there. It worked before, but hadn't checked since moving to 8.12 - maybe that broke it?

$ aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get version"
      PPLIB version is 1.4 and is active!

$ aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get temperature 0"
      Temperature for thermal controller 0 is 53.000000

Comment

Well, I'm still with 8.11 and they do not complain about missing libraries so far
        Anyway, on my setup the libatiadlxx has also the x flag, perhaps you could try adding that with chmod and see if that solves your problem ?

But right now I'm wondering, does the hd3470 mobility have a temperature sensor at all? It seems so strange to me that such a recent card doesn't have it, but still..

Comment

Anyway, on my setup the libatiadlxx has also the x flag, perhaps you could try adding that with chmod and see if that solves your problem ?
          Don't think libraries need to be executable, only the programs that read them need to be.
          Think other people might be having the problem with this library too, but I don't know what the solution is.

Comment

Originally posted by duffster View Post
            Don't think libraries need to be executable, only the programs that read them need to be.
            Think other people might be having the problem with this library too, but I don't know what the solution is.
            Try this:

$ LD_PRELOAD=libXinerama.so.1 aticonfig --od-gettemperature

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
              Try this:

I had the same problem with my 4870. What you suggested worked for me.
              Thanks.

Comment

I upgraded to 8.12, luckily no library complaints, yet aticonfig shows the same errors as in 8.11 Also, i checked on ati website and the mobility hd3400 series indeed should have temperature monitoring..
                Anyone with a mobility hd34xx and working temperature sensors ?

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  Try this:

Yep, that works. Thanks.

Does this mean that some things in the driver aren't working due to library problems, or just that aticonfig isn't working properly but with no effect on anything else?

Comment

A quick update, even with new 9.1 drivers I cannot get temperature readings. One thing that bugs me is that the video card is not recognized as a 3470, but rather as a generic '3400 family' card by a third party.
                    Could these two things be related?

(--) fglrx(0): Chipset: "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series" (Chipset = 0x95c4)
                    (--) fglrx(0): (PciSubVendor = 0x1179, PciSubDevice = 0xff50)
                    (--) fglrx(0): board vendor info: third party graphics adapter - NOT original ATI

~ $ aticonfig --od-gettemperature
                    ERROR - ATI Overdrive(TM) is not supported on the Default Adapter - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series

Comment

Working...
                    X