Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

good light yet developer friendly distro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good light yet developer friendly distro?

As the title says, Im looking for a good linux distro that is both light and portable, like by the means of running from a liveCD with the option of installing it to a HD, but feature-full enough for development. The reason why i dont want to go for the big popular distros like ubuntu or opensuse, etc, is that theyre too heavy, need lots of HD, and I need something i can carry around in a USB flash drive. Yet, i want a distro that has full gcc/g++ framework to compile my own executables. I tried a few, and so far i came up with several that were more or less good at that. Slax, which is slackware-based, runs with KDE, Antix, mepis based, uses fluxbox, and Wolvix, based in Slackware too runs Gnome. All 3 of these have their pros and cons.

So anyone would care to suggest a good distro with traits like those?

thanks.

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    As the title says, Im looking for a good linux distro that is both light and portable, like by the means of running from a liveCD with the option of installing it to a HD, but feature-full enough for development. The reason why i dont want to go for the big popular distros like ubuntu or opensuse, etc, is that theyre too heavy, need lots of HD, and I need something i can carry around in a USB flash drive. Yet, i want a distro that has full gcc/g++ framework to compile my own executables. I tried a few, and so far i came up with several that were more or less good at that. Slax, which is slackware-based, runs with KDE, Antix, mepis based, uses fluxbox, and Wolvix, based in Slackware too runs Gnome. All 3 of these have their pros and cons.

So anyone would care to suggest a good distro with traits like those?

thanks.
    To tell you the truth I just spin off a usb image for a thumb drive off of opensuse using it's product creator module. ~1.5 gig on the thumbdrive leaving me with 2.5 gig on a 4 Gig key. If needed to install it can be done right from the USB key.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      To tell you the truth I just spin off a usb image for a thumb drive off of opensuse using it's product creator module. ~1.5 gig on the thumbdrive leaving me with 2.5 gig on a 4 Gig key. If needed to install it can be done right from the USB key.
      really? And is opensuse good, and responsive? Last time i tried just booting the opensuse iso image it took like 20 minutes to display the startup screen. It was slow as s***.

Comment

really? And is opensuse good, and responsive? Last time i tried just booting the opensuse iso image it took like 20 minutes to display the startup screen. It was slow as s***.
        Boot time after the first boot (runs through some setup for initial network and such which takes about 2 minutes) boot times are <40 seconds on a fast USB keychain after that.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Boot time after the first boot (runs through some setup for initial network and such which takes about 2 minutes) boot times are <40 seconds on a fast USB keychain after that.
          Sounds pretty fast. hmm, and well, knowing that Novell made a pact with microsoft, is there any difference in their opensuse distro? I was avoiding opensuse because novell "engaged in talks with the enemy" But maybe that doesnt involve opensuse since its community based.

Comment

Sounds pretty fast. hmm, and well, knowing that Novell made a pact with microsoft, is there any difference in their opensuse distro? I was avoiding opensuse because novell "engaged in talks with the enemy" But maybe that doesnt involve opensuse since its community based.
            The FUD has made no impact on openSUSE except maybe increased it's popularity.

Comment

If you don't mind a bit of extra work setting it up you could use larch and customize it to your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                If you don't mind a bit of extra work setting it up you could use larch and customize it to your needs.
                Seems interesting, thanks ill give it a try!

Comment

Working...
                X