Testing latest -intel in Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, a summary, if I undestood correctly:

• drm/modesetting-gem - outdated drm-modules-source, don't compile (you can't)
    • anholt/drm-intel-next - no i915 module
    • linux-2.6 master - DRM modesetting incomplete

Is there any way to "test" modesetting atm or do I have to sedate (read: kill) the geek inside me? Sorry, for asking, I'm not involved in drm development and don't read the mailing lists. Maybe I should.

Comment

Originally posted by AliBaba View Post
      Is there any way to "test" modesetting atm or do I have to sedate (read: kill) the geek inside me? Sorry, for asking, I'm not involved in drm development and don't read the mailing lists. Maybe I should.
      It's might worth to read the xorg and dri-devel mailing lists. This stuff is so new that it probably only work on some developer machines with quite some effort. I think Eric was also pitching Fedora for being the choice for testing latest stuff. Maybe they have tweaked their kernel so it works. And maybe they deliberately keep it messy so that other distributions will have a hard time catching up

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
        And maybe they deliberately keep it messy so that other distributions will have a hard time catching up
        Ahh!

I already suspected that. :-D

Well, there is a rawhide repository that is maintained by Dave Airlie. Could be worth checking that out (git is a marvelous tool) but I remember something about "currently only support for ATI, Intel later".

Anyway, I really understood that this stuff is still bleeding. But I can't resist being attracted to it. Every time I read about progress in KMS, GEM or plymouth or whatever I get excited like a child in front of the Xmas tree.

I need a life (or more time for bouldering).

Comment

Originally posted by bouazza View Post
          Hans on launchpad is talking about 1300~1500 FPS, is that possible ? So that means that we can get those values or less with the official intel/gem drivers ?

( My card is an Intel 965GM ( X3100 ) )
          I posted some bugs on launchpad about the lack of 'INTEL_BATCH' environnement variable in recent intel driver and performance regression.
          Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-video-intel The INTEL_BATCH=1 environment variable doesn't seem to work in Intrepid. This option is used by many users to improve 3D performance in compiz, games, etc... on intel chipsets (i915, i945...) For example, without this option, i only get 550fps in glxgears on my eeepc 900A, whereas i can get 1300fps when i enable this option (in hardy) I know there were some remarks about some stability problems with screensavers (see bug #195843) and it was deci...

I have a eeepc 900A (i945) under Ubuntu Hardy. I currently have 1450fps in glxgears, and smooth animation with compiz. Note that this is done with DefaultDepth=16.

The most important part is INTEL_BATCH=1 set in /etc/environment. This option works fine for me.

Comment

Status update:

Well, I managed to compile i915 out of drm-intel-next (stupid mistake: forgot to select framebuffer support).

Video driver is latest mesa/master.

I tried drm/master and modesetting-gem, but none of the combinations (including tormods xserver-xorg packages) makes modesetting work.

Anyways, I got i915 in my kernel again.

Comment

hi all,
              just an update. There was a slew of updates today morning due to alpha2 including a new kernel 2.6.28.3 (rebased on 2.6.28-rc8) almost 100 MiB of updates.

As far as stuff is concerned, am able to get to the login screen and type but keyboard delay is horrible. Also mouse is able to scroll around normally but no clicking.

This is from stuff on main though, no xorg-edgers being used atm.

Comment

EXA glyph cache patches

For those using Intrepid (or even Hardy) I uploaded a new xserver-xorg-core to the xorg-edgers repo which has a collection of EXA glyph cache patches (selected from trunk by Thomas Jaeger). This should improve the intel performance.

(2:1.5.3+git20081216+server-1.5-branch.4970d757-0ubuntu0tormod1 for intrepid)

You can use the -intel 2.5.99.1 (2.6 RC1) from xorg-edgers, or the stable -intel 2.5.1 from https://launchpad.net/~intel-gfx-testing/+archive
                Last edited by tormod; 20 December 2008, 04:51 PM. Reason: 2.6 RC1 in Intrepid xorg-edgers

Comment

jaunty status

Just want to point out that at this point, xserver 1.6 has landed in main Jaunty (since alpha-2) and the xorg-edgers packages are obsoleted, except for the -video- drivers and mesa packages.

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
                    Just want to point out that at this point, xserver 1.6 has landed in main Jaunty (since alpha-2) and the xorg-edgers packages are obsoleted, except for the -video- drivers and mesa packages.
                    My RV770 no likee Jaunty with the radeon driaver after today's (post Alpha 2) updates, not one little bit. RadeonHD works OK. Investigating.
                    Last edited by rbmorse; 20 December 2008, 08:18 PM.

Comment

no go even after doing the latest xorg from jaunty1:7.4~5ubuntu8 still stuck on the login screen.

Comment

Working...
                      X