Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINE 1.1.10 Brings Improved 64-Bit Support

Phoronix: WINE 1.1.10 Brings Improved 64-Bit Support

The WINE development community has just released the tenth development update in the WINE 1.1 series. With this release are also several interesting changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What exactly do the 64bit improvements do?

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
      What exactly do the 64bit improvements do?
      The post on phoronix misinterpreted what the 64-bit changes mean. It is not related to building a 32-bit Wine on a 64-bit system which indeed can cause issues for people. It is about Wine64, a version of Wine which will in the end be able to run 64-bit Windows programs. Though this is far, far away. It requires changes through all Wine dlls because sizes of variables differ between 64-bit Linux and 64-bit Windows (long = 8 bytes on linux, 4 bytes on win64). Further a lot of changes to gcc 4.4 are needed which are only in cvs right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
        The post on phoronix misinterpreted what the 64-bit changes mean. It is not related to building a 32-bit Wine on a 64-bit system which indeed can cause issues for people. It is about Wine64, a version of Wine which will in the end be able to run 64-bit Windows programs. Though this is far, far away. It requires changes through all Wine dlls because sizes of variables differ between 64-bit Linux and 64-bit Windows (long = 8 bytes on linux, 4 bytes on win64). Further a lot of changes to gcc 4.4 are needed which are only in cvs right now.
        Yup, the changes are to Wine64 and not compiling Wine 32 on Wine64. BTW, Thunderbird when can we expect a new version of NVClock?

Comment

Ah, thanks for explaining that... everybody was thinking that if you're on 64bit, somehow wine was improved for you.

Comment

<offtopic>Right now I'm mostly busy with Wine stuff and I'm quite busy. I hope to release a new NVClock sometime but I need a lto of new functionality (fanspeed on more geforce8/9/gtx cards) and other features and I don't have enough testers nor direct access to those cards.</offtopic>

Comment

Just so we don't totally muck up this thread with off topic issues I started a new one for people willing to help test nvclock.

Technical support and discussion of the open-source NVIDIA, Tegra, and Nouveau drivers.

Comment

Working...
              X