Radeon Driver Gets Tear-Free X-Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
    nor EXA acceleration (because of corruption issues).
    If you haven't filed a bug for this yet, please do. We can't fix bugs we don't know about.

Comment

First when i enable EXAVSync i see gtkperf performance drop (from 10s to 22s) and 'man radeon' said "It reduces tearing at the cost of performance." == that is OK... Then i start tvtime (overlay port) and got hard freeze. Reboot on case button. Then i start 'xdtv' (now with textured video port), second hard freeze. Reboot on case button. off for EXAVSync. Write this.

r200 (9250) here

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
        If you use plain Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.10, you can get an updated DDX (card driver) from my repository https://launchpad.net/~tormodvolden/+archive The packages are unofficial, but testing is welcome.
        Just tried the latest version (6.9.0+git20081206.979ad04d-0ubuntu0tormod) on Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit running a Thinkpad Z61m with an X1400 ATI chip and I'll be damned!

Never seen such smooth video playback of Big Buck Bunny (big_buck_bunny_1080p_surround.avi) on this laptop before using either previous radeon or fglrx drivers (and trust me about using that video as a benchmark, my one and a half year old daughter has us see that one almost once a day).

I need to toggle Compiz off using fusion-icon though or there will still be tearing. I have nothing else manually specified in my xorg.conf than the EXA option:

Code:
        Section "Device"
        	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
        	Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
        EndSection
        The radeon driver has come a long long way this year and I can finally fully enjoy using this laptop without breaking into tears

To everyone involved in improving, packaging and testing this driver, thanx for your hard work and happy holidays!

bridgman, I'm sure you know what we all want for this Christmas this year. Apart from being grumpy about fglrx and impressed by Nvidias VDPAU I've been a fairly good boy

Comment

Umm... World peace ? A chicken in every pot ? Carmen Electra ?

Test signature

Comment

Hm, maybe I got something wrong, but how do you enable XV at all with the Radeon driver? I'm using the latest one (1:6.9.0+git20081003.f9826a56-0ubuntu4) from Jaunty at the moment, and 'xvinfo' returns:

X-Video Extension version 2.2
            screen #0
            no adaptors present

Is there any specific configuration option I should enable? I'm using a HD3200 IGP.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
              Is there any specific configuration option I should enable? I'm using a HD3200 IGP.
              Xv is only available on r1xx-r5xx chips. Accel code (including Xv) for r6xx/r7xx chips (the hd3200 is r6xx based) is in progress and will be released as soon as the IP review is finished.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                Xv is only available on r1xx-r5xx chips. Accel code (including Xv) for r6xx/r7xx chips (the hd3200 is r6xx based) is in progress and will be released as soon as the IP review is finished.
                Ah, thanks a bunch! I thought that applied only to RadeonHD.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
                  I'm using the latest one (1:6.9.0+git20081003.f9826a56-0ubuntu4) from Jaunty at the moment, and
                  You might want to try the updated Intrepid driver from my personal repository at https://launchpad.net/~tormodvolden/+archive
                  It should run fine in Jaunty.

Comment

this is readon driver and not readonhd, right ?

Comment

Working...
                    X